Thursday, November 23, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving!

And it was.  The nice little yellow pills kept the nasty old vertigo at bay so I was able to make the Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Toffee Rum Sauce this morning.  I might have been a little heavy-handed with the rum.  (oh my)  I decided at the last minute to make a second batch of the sauce and that turned out to be a good idea because a couple of apple pie eaters decided to put the sauce on their pie.  From their "mmm"-ing I assume it was a good idea.


 
I tried to make good choices and only eat a bit of things but look at my plate.  There weren't a lot of choices that didn't have plenty of bacon or butter or some other fattening component.  (it is Thanksgiving, the holiday that's all about food and family, what did I expect?  Lean Cuisine?)  I was careful not to eat too many appetizers and no seconds, but I confess that I had a small piece of pecan pie with whipped cream AND a little square of the bread pudding--just to make sure it was good enough to serve to everyone, you understand. 





This morning I took my bag of peels etc. over to feed the chickens and was rewarded with two fresh eggs.  I see an omelet in my future or maybe egg salad.



 
Here are all three Rebel Girl Hats finished and ready for wearing.  Duplicate stitching all those letters was a bigger job than I anticipated and I'm glad it's done but I'm also glad I made them.  Nobody else will have hats like ours.  We'll be warm and STRONG BRAVE SMART & KIND, yes we will.






November 23--Joachim Beuckelaer, Vegetable Vendor.  Eloise caught her breath when she turned the corner in the market.  The vegetable stall looked like a jewel box sparkling in the morning sun.  Pale green orbs of cabbage were piled in baskets on the ground in front of the table.  Pyramids of beets and white and red onions twinkled at her and the green beans looked like shards of jade.  There were purple, green, and yellow summer squash, and bouquets of carrots begging to be taken home for soups and stews.  Humble potatoes lay in dusty splendor in a bushel basket at her feet.

I have a dry scratchy throat with one of those tickly coughs.  I hate it.  I think I'll take myself to bed.
--Barbara

No comments: