Saturday, March 14, 2009

Gotta love that Twilight Drug!

The endoscopy is behind me (no, not literally!) and the diagnosis is ulcers with reflux disorder. So I'm on Prevacid with strict orders to stop the Aleve. This means no more spitting up blood and reduced acid reflux, but my knees are on fire. Getting old sucks!

I'm sorry I missed you ladies at Writer's Group Thursday, but I love the Boob Tree piece Barbara. I think what caught my eye was the artistic description during the first three quarters of the piece followed by Vera's realistic comment, "You are painting a boob tree?". Perfect!

Write About a Justifiable Sin

Aside from the faint murmer of voices, the church was silent leaving Agnes alone with her thoughts. It had been thirteen years since her last confession, yet her acts of this week brought her to the last pew of St. Francis of Assisi Parish where she waited patiently for her turn to confess her sins. The Parish hasn't changed much, Agness noticed. The walls still adorned with the same stained glass windows that she would gaze upon as a young girl while mentally reciting the Bible story told in the colorful panels. Anything to pass the time from Father Samuel's boring sermons during Sunday Mass. Although she no longer considered herself Catholic, the years of embedded guilt from her upbringing made her walk the two miles to the Parish on this frigid February morning to confess to the priest on duty that she had stolen formula from the local Walgreens in order to feed her baby. Thinking of little Lily snug in her crib while her neighbor watched over her, Agnes knew this was the right thing to do. May as well start making a regular appearance at this old Church again she thought. I have a feeling I will be back at confession alot. The creak of the confessional door snapped Agnes out of her thoughts. She watched as a parishoner walked quickly out of church and continued on with their day. Mustering up her courage, Agnes slowly walked toward the confessional and entered the small confines. "Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been thirteen years since my last confession." Agnes could hear the disapproval in the priest's voice through the confessional screen and immediately realized it was Father Samuel. Some things don't change, she told herself. "What are your sins my child?", Father Samuel pressed impatiently. Agnes took a deep breath, swallowed her guilt and replied, "I am guilty of allowing this religion to do what is right for my baby." Agnes stood up and exited the confessional. I realize what I did was wrong, she thought to herself, but my penance will be the long, cold walk home.

No comments: