Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ahhhh! Sunday mornings

I love this...it's Sunday morning...it's me, my cat, my pigs, a cup of coffee, the New York Times, and a full day ahead of me to do whatever I want. And it's supposed to get to 50 today!

Barbara...something tells me Vera's frustration is not so much the routine, it's being cooped up on that houseboat with Ed. If that's the case, she will need ALOT of cleansing breaths to get her by!

Glad to hear that Jenny is FINALLY going to have something done....this has gone on way too long in my mind....doctors...grrrrrr

If I Had My Way....

"Boys are dumb," Jessica said as she watched her father pull a pan of chocolate chip cookies from the oven. "If I had my way, there wouldn't be any boys. Only girls and puppies." Jessica's father smiled, supressing the urge to chuckle at his daughter's comment. "You want to tell me what happened at school today?" Although the school principal had relayed the events that had transpired in Mrs. Miller's third grade classroom, he needed to hear Jessica's side of the story. He placed a small plate with two cookies and a glass of cold milk in front of his daughter. Giving her a look that mirrored what his mother used to give him when he was in trouble and which he swore he would never use on his children, he waited patiently for the confession to begin. Jessica stalled for time, dunking her first cookie into the glass of milk and then quickly bringing it to her mouth before the cookie fell apart into the glass. Of course if that happened, it would distract her father for a few more seconds, so she gave it an extra dunk for good measure, but the cookie held its form, as did her father with arms crossed over his chest, left eyebrow raised, patiently waiting for the events to unfold in Jessica's own words.

"It's Tommy Flanders' fault," Jessica said, small bits of cookie escaping from her mouth. Silently, her father handed her a napkin with a stern look of reproach at speaking with food in her mouth. She took a sip of milk and swallowed the remaining contents before continuing. "Tommy told me that I was a stinky girl. Everyone in the class heard it. He kept saying it over and over, 'Jessica is a stinky girl, Jessica is a stinky girl.' He wouldn't shut up so I punched him in the mouth." Jessica's father nodded silently, acknowledging both his daughter's frustration as well as the fact that her story matched up with the principal's. "You know that punching Tommy was wrong, don't you Jessica?" Jessica nodded her head, knowing that her punishment was just around the corner. Jessica's father sat in the empty dining room chair, the one that Jessica's mother used to occupy when she was alive and gathered his daughter in his arms. He kissed her gently on the forehead rocking her gently. If I had my way, he thought to himself, this chair would still be occupied by your mother. I think you've been punished enough.

"

No comments: