Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mystery Solved!

Ha! Loved your post Barbara. I have always wondered why the woman looked so unhappy in that painting and I bet neither of the men commented on her dinner! I'm getting the sense she wouldn't dare utter those words to anyone out loud for fear of being a martyr, but at least she can think them in her head. Well done!

From the Archive - An Exercise in Dialogue
"I would like to make an exchange."
"What's wrong with it?"
"It's defective."
"How so?"
"It's hard to say. Some parts don't work consistently. Other parts don't work at all."
"What parts don't work at all?"
"The parts that show respect, loyalty, and freedom."
"Your receipt shows you bought this thirteen years ago."
"Yes, that's correct. Now I want to make an exchange."
"You can't return something after 13 years."
"Why not."
"Because it's been used. It's out of warranty."
"I wasn't told there was a warranty. I tried to fix it myself and it didn't respond."
"We could exchange it for an older model, but not for a newer one."
"That's fine. I know which one I want. He's perfect."

Just a little something I worked on one night before our Writer's Group Meeting was called to order ....:)

No comments: