Friday, October 16, 2009

It's Mammo Day!

Time to get my breasts pressed to make sure they're healthy. Woohoo! At least they still bounce back and don't stay like deflated balloons. I have an early appointment so I'll still have the rest of the day to take a nice long walk and then sit down and see if I can crank out a few words about retired spies. I've got them marooned with their snorkeling club on a deserted island for the night and need to get them sorted out so they can get some sleep. It feels kind of bogged down right now but I'll wriggle them into something more interesting soon, I'm sure.

October 16--Jan van Eyck, The Arnolfini Marriage. He looks pale and almost demonic with his narrow face so still and his mouth so stern. His right hand is raised as if to swear an oath and his left cups hers, not in a lover's clasp but offering it as she offers it, palm up and submissive. They pose by their red-draped bed as if to proclaim her virginity at the wedding night but she holds up her skirt to hide a pregnant belly. She's no longer a virgin. Giovanni and Giovanna have been busy. She trusts him. You can see it in her face as she looks at him. Perhaps in the privacy of their rooms his face softens and she leans down to whisper in her ear and makes her laugh.

Better get a move on and have breakfast. Enjoy your day.
--Barbara

No comments: