Monday, September 22, 2008

Write about a premonition

I'm back-dating myself from the Writer's Book of Days since I'm not real jazzed about today's suggestion....so I'm taking liberty just to keep writing...

I once had a dream as Thursday dawned into Friday where I was in my parent's kitchen and noticed on the counter instructions for how to put our family dog, Daisy, a dalmation, to sleep. I awoke suddenly from the dream in a cold sweat unable to shake the disturbing images.

A few days later I arrived early at my parent's house for a family get together. Daisy greeted me in her usual way, barreling forward into my legs, tail wagging, happy to see me. I casually told my parents about the dream and how it had unnerved me, however they offered little comment in response. As more and more family members arrived, Daisy was relegated to the basement where she would not cause trouble.

As the evening progressed, an unexpected event took place involving my grandfather. My mother and I jumped in my car and sped to my grandfather's house to check on him. Once we were convinced he was fine, we headed back to my parent's house. I left shortly afterwards without saying goodbye to Daisy as I would usually do.

The next day was Monday and I went to work unable to shake this feeling of sadness that had overcome me. As I drove home, the radio station played a country and western song entitled, "Holes in the Floor of Heaven", a sentimental tune comparing rain to tears shed from heaven when our departed loved ones think about us. It dawned on me that I was still affected by what had happened to my grandfather and I shrugged it off as I knew he was fine.

I had no sooner arrived home when my mother knocked on my front door. From the look on her face, I knew that something was terribly wrong. She told me that she and my father had put Daisy to sleep that morning. The two of them had made the decision the previous Friday, the same morning of my dream.


(This isn't coming out like I wanted....I think I'm tired....I know I need to practice writing more).

No comments: