Monday, September 22, 2008

Some Yarn, Some Jam




I got Mason-Dixon's new book, Knitting Outside the Lines, on Friday and had to plunge right in. I'd been saving this ball of Sugar 'n Cream in Oriental Ocher for something special and the Mitered Hanging towel turned out to be it. I did have to use some of my birthday gift card to get a 14" pair of US 7s so I wasn't cramming the early rows on the needle. But now I'm in the home stretch finishing up the handle (despite what the picture shows).






Durwood's been harvesting raspberries from the plants he inherited from our son (who abandoned them to move to Montana with his bride to brew beer) and he's got a lot of them. Saturday he made a pie and yesterday I talked him through making his first batch of jam. He'll be picking little seeds out of his teeth for weeks and weeks.








But there's still plenty of tomatoes for Tomato Boy, too.




Now I've got the jam-making bug. I want to make cherry, maybe plum, mango, and a recipe I found in the Settlement cookbook for Pineapple/Orange/Strawberry Jam. Doesn't that sound yummy? I need more jars.

1 comment:

rochard said...

It amazes me to see how expensive berries are at the supermarket, because we just have a little group of raspberry bushes by the garage, and we get tons of berries, too. Gosh, you're ambitious. I'm afraid to can things, because I don't trust that we won't get poisoned, but I mush them up in freezer bags and we heap them on things, and make pies. Those jams sound wonderful. Great Christmas presents, too.

Sally