Tuesday, February 1, 2011

By the Skin of our Teeth

That's how close today's storm is missing us. We're just on the northern fringe of it, there are a few flakes drifting around, but we're not getting slammed. Too bad, I was kind of hoping for a snow day but maybe we'll get lucky later. Don't get me wrong, it's colder than a well-digger's ass in the Klondike out there today, but it's not a raging blizzard. Soup and hot chocolate, that should be today's menu, and sweats or jammies for the dress code. Oh, the sun just came out. It's funny, out my window I can see a distinct line of clouds that extends far to the south so we must literally be on the northern edge of the storm. Looks cool. I like seeing the definite edge of things like storms, it pleases me somehow. I know, I'm a dork.

January 31--China, Qing Dynasty, Velvet Textile for a Dragon Robe. Mai Lin could feel herself disappearing as she put on the velvet dragon robe. The history of it, the elaborate embroidery that covered every inch of it, and the sheer weight of it threatened to overwhelm her. When she was small she was frightened to see her mother swallowed up by the voluminous garment with its pair of green dragons romping on the front. The waves around the hem made her think of claws and she thought that the embroidered flames by the clasp looked real enough to burn. It was a magnificent piece of art but she felt like nothing so much as an animated hanger when she wore it.

I would love to wear that robe. It's gorgeous but probably very fragile. Well, I'm off to clean off my car and move a bit of snow. So that the driveway will be clear when the snowplow comes and fills the end with heaps more. My timing sucks.
--Barbara

No comments: