Friday, February 11, 2011

Crafty Day

I made up my mind yesterday that I was not going to get dressed until I had to today and spend the day making things. So I have. I knitted a tiny baby hat because the Knitting Guild is collecting them and I sewed a fabric box because I was intrigued when I saw them on Mooncalf's blog the other day. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, or them because I'm sure I'll make more, but it was fun to make, kind of fabric origami. Unfortunately I neglected to eat lunch so got to feeling a bit shaky when I came upstairs at 3, but a couple pb & Ritz and a banana helped. It's supposed to get warm this weekend. Above freezing even! Woohoo, I'll be the one outside in shorts. Okay, maybe not, just fewer layers and a lighter jacket. It's nice to break out of the deep freeze.

February 10--Valentina, Evening Dress. The red silk slid over her skin like a whisper. the high neck and long sleeves were unusual for an evening dress, especially one so expensive. She smoothed her hands down her ribs and over her hips. The silk was perfectly smooth, perfectly cut, perfectly red. The simplicity of it made her form beneath it that much more alluring and the glimpse of her flesh through the laced slit over her midriff made people shiver. She had an athlete's body, long, lean, and muscular, and the dress was perfect on her.

Oh, I struggled with that one last night. The new notebook has narrow-ruled lines so it feels different from the ones I've been using for years, but the picture of the perfectly red dress silenced me. So I thought about how the woman wearing it would feel and how people would perceive her and managed to eke out a bit. Stubborn is sometimes better than skilled.
--Barbara

No comments: