Wednesday, July 8, 2009

One Week Down

I have been Wii-ing every day for a whole week. Yay me! It's getting a little easier when the alarm rings at 6:30 to get up and dressed and stagger out into the living room to greet the little talking cafeteria tray and exercise or Yoga, like today. I did the Cobra for the first time today. How does Horst know I'm doing it right if I'm not using the board/tray thingy? He told me I did a good job so maybe he can see me. Nah, I make him turn around and look the other way when we exercise together. I don't want him to see me sweat.

Jennifer, I like the picture of your guy busting out tunes in his steamy bathroom. He's a dork, isn't he? Got a haircut appt. this morning so I'll zoom right into the writing portion of our visit.

July 8--Mary Stevenson Cassatt, Young Woman Sewing in the Garden. Lily sat among the begonias frowning at the scrap of linen in her hands. She was supposed to be making a sampler but what she was making was a mess. Miss Greene (with an "E, as she always said with a sniff), her governess, Greenie demanded that Lily sew for one hour a day and every Saturday they had what Lily secretly called "the unstitching" when Greenie picked out each incorrectly made stitch, which was every one most weeks. Lily couldn't keep her linen from getting rumpled, couldn't keep the silk thread clean or even dry. She couldn't understand why Greenie didn't face facts and move on to something else, some other ladylike pursuit she thought proper for a young lady to learn. Lily would have liked to learn to ride a bicycle but she was certain that Greenie would faint at the very idea.

I like Lily; she might go places, but I'm fond of Greenie too, hanging on to what's familiar. Gotta run.
--Barbara

No comments: