Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chilly Wind

A chilly wind is blowing today and I'm wondering if it will ever get warm more than one day in a row. The sun is in and out of the clouds and it looks very spring-y out there. I got Durwood's tomatoes planted the other night and this weekend I'll buy some beet seeds to plant a row next to my scallions. I'm beginning to feel rather cramped with people constantly around me and things needing to be done. Good thing I've only got 10 more days until I go off to The Clearing for a week of poetry writing. That's sure to clear my mind and put me back in touch with myself. I need to renew my goal of finishing the query letter so I can send my novel, Horizon, off to the 3 agents I met in Madison. This weekend I swear I'll do it. Cross my heart.

May 14--Chinese School, Fo porcelain dog. I rode it when I was small and Grandma wasn't looking. It was my pet. None of my cousins liked what they called "the dragon dog" but I loved it. I loved its dots and cheerful colors; I loved the smile on its face and the red tassels around its neck. I called him Melvin and played with him all the time. Melvin lived in Grandma's dining room next to the sideboard. I'd take my paper and crayons in to sit by Melvin and color or pretend that my doll, Pearl, was a lonely little girl with a wise and fierce dog named Melvin. They shared many adventures and I would write down the stories and illustrate them too. The cousins played out in the garden, running through the maze and playing tag in the orchard. I spent my days in the dimly lit dining room off on crusades with Pearl and Melvin.

Tonight's writing. Have you got your critique of Jenny's story done yet? I'm working hard on an exercise in creativity for us. See you then.
--Barbara

No comments: