Tuesday, April 24, 2018

We've Got Worms


I've been keeping a close-ish eye on the apple/raisin/suet cake I hung out for the robins.  Naturally the rapacious grackles found it first.  They stopped by to gorge on suet pellets in the feeder back by the retaining wall and one of them moseyed on over to the suet cake and spread the word.  I figured some critter, bird or squirrel, would find it then knock little bits of it onto the ground for the robins because as a rule they don't eat from feeders.  There were a couple robins hopping around under there, pecking up any suet and apple crumbs, yesterday and today.  This morning I spied a robin tugging a reluctant earthworm out of the ground.  Hooray, we've got worms!

 
 
I got tired of watching squirrels empty the cracked corn feeder having gnawed the plastic below the feeding port so that the seeds and corn just cascade out onto the ground so I blew the budget and bought a new feeder with a spring-loaded tube that shuts the ports and the edges of the ports are metal.  Ha!  Take that, squirrels.


I haven't done much knitting, only added a few rows to the first Montparnasse sleeve, and I've done no sewing the last few days.  Since spring has finally sprung around here I've been feverishly purging unworn clothes and unloved possessions (you're welcome, Salvation Army) and digging into the haphazard pile of junk that made it to the bottom of the basement stairs and no further.  There are no pictures of me sorting through and bagging donations, sorry.  I haven't cooked much either since we met friends for cheeseburgers and Tater Tots (well, that's what I had, Durwood had a deluxe hamburger [with lettuce & tomato] and onion rings) at a cafe in a gas station for supper last night.  Now don't turn up your nose at the sound of gas station cafe burgers, these are real burgers made with real meat by real college kids, made fresh when you order.  WW has taken a bit of a beating the last couple days but it was so worth it.

April 24--Daniel Ridgway Knight, Fishing on a Spring Day.  

A minnow was bait.
The fish I caught
was barely bigger.
The pair of them
could be earrings.
~~~~~

Today was cleaning lady day so the carpets look manicured and my shoes don't stick to the kitchen floor.  I love a clean house and hate to make it so.  Thank you, MB, you're deeply appreciated.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Cannot believe you actually got a shot of that robin tugging a worm out of the ground. National Geographic has nothing on you. And who knew a worm could bring so much joy to your heart??? Happy Day indeed.