Monday, April 16, 2018

It's Over


 

The blizzard finally ended overnight.  There were a few errant flakes flying around this morning but the wind died down and I spent the last interlude with the snowblower this morning tidying up the driveways and using the shovel to really clear the concrete before sprinkling salt to keep ice from forming.   Blizzard Evelyn was a real bitch.  Durwood wondered if I had a broomstick or something to poke into that big drift by the front porch to show how deep it is since the light's so flat that it makes it hard to see.  Instead of a broomstick I dug out a 4 ft.-stick that I poked into the drift all the way to the ground, although you can't see that it's down there because I had to put it in like that so it stayed upright.  That Durwood, he's no dummy.




 



This mourning dove came for a solitary drink this morning.  I haven't seen a dove in a while.  And this squirrel contorted itself around the cob corn to get the perfect kernel for its breakfast.









I spent a couple hours this afternoon knitting on the Montparnasse Cardigan sleeve while watching brainless DIY television.  It occurred to me that knitting a sweater with bulky yarn and big needles would probably go fairly quickly if I actually picked it up once in a while and knitted a few stitches or even a few rows.  (imagine that!)


It also came to me this afternoon that I needed to print out the handout for the knitting lesson another member and I are teaching on Thursday evening at Guild.  I'll take it up to Office Depot and have them make copies so they use their ink.  I also thought I'd rustle up some long circular needles and some small balls of yarn to cast on 40 stitches so if anyone wants to try their hand at the technique but didn't prepare I'd have something for them to play with.



Oh, in the "Got Smart Too Late" Department, I realized that I should have backed the snowblower into the garage every time I put it away all weekend so I could fire it up and drive out ready to tackle the snow rather than having to back it out and turn it around, thereby compacting the snow at the entrance and making more work for myself.  *sigh*  Sometimes I'm a disappointment to myself.

April 16--Theo van Doesburg, Composition IX, Opus 18.  

Like black and white Tetris 
the interlocking
squares, rectangles, Ts, Ls
look bound by their edges.
In the upper right the shapes
are free to spread,
seem to float away.
The few gray squares are vivid
in that black and white world
and one blue rectangle crouches
like a doodle by a distracted assistant
with a careless Bic.
~~~~~

All of a sudden I feel like I'm getting a cold.  I don't need a cold.  I don't want a cold.  Better dig out the Zycam.  G'night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yay for Zycam. Hope it works because you definitely do not need a cold. Too much stuff to do nearly every day. You're a well-prepared teacher for your class on Thursday. Very thoughtful to have the tools on hand for any forgetful students.