Wednesday, April 25, 2018

I Made Writing!

After lunch I met a friend at The Attic Cafe & Books.  We did a prompt write and then each worked on our separate projects.  I worked at injecting some more conflict into Chapter 28 of The Seaview.  Iggy invites Rose to his house for the weekend (oo-o-o-o-oh!) and the neighborhood widows (and wives, for that matter) give her a hearty dose of the cold shoulder--and we all know how women can be when they feel their turf has been usurped.  I took my trusty Alphasmart and wrote a good 3/4 of a page that I can tuck into the scene at the neighborhood Saturday night beach party and have a bit more to write to tuck into another spot before moving on to the next chapter.  Writering, I likes it.



The first clump of mini-daffodils that I planted years ago in front of the rental side has bloomed.  It's always the first daffodils to bloom and just because they're tiny doesn't mean they aren't appreciated for their bright yellowness.




 
The grackles are having a lovely time pecking at and eating the apple/raisin/suet cake and the robins are taking full advantage of the pieces that fall to the ground.  This robin chased away a grackle that landed nearby thinking it'd get some of that fallen goodness.  When the grackles aren't there a robin will land on top of the suet cage, lean over and start to fall/fly, grabbing a beakful on the way past.  It's pretty entertaining.  Of course, Durwood wants the grackles to leave the suet alone so the robins can eat it all but I don't know, the grackles are kind of pretty and they have to eat too.  I assured him that I'm not making any more special cakes since seeing that robin tug a couple worms out of the ground yesterday so once that fruit and suet cake is gone the grackles will be mostly gone too.  Oh, and speaking of gone, it's probably been a month since I've seen THE RAT.  This is a good thing.  I'll be spending some time this spring clearing out the stuff around the shed and blocking off access so we don't have another unwelcome guest living there next winter.




After supper tonight I cast on another Packer hat.  The first one I made using the dreaded, scratchy Red Heart yarn isn't what I'd hoped it would be so I broke down and bought some wool/acrylic blend yarn in a better forest green and a more mellow gold, then I found a pattern for a one row stripe hat and I like one row stripes.






April 25--Riviere Briton, Sympathy.  

Time outs are hard.
Sitting there,
punished,
out of the fun,
when good ol' Rex
leans his scratchy muzzle
on my shoulder,
sighs in sympathy
at my plight.
With his support I think
I'll make it.
~~~~~

I'm planning to take a walk tomorrow.  Since the snowstorm I haven't walked, haven't listened to The Walk podcast because a whole lot of driveways got plowed but I noticed that there were bulwarks of snow across the sidewalks next to those driveways.  It's been warm enough the last few days that I figure most of the snow is gone.  Just think, a week and a day ago I was standing in my snowshoes on top of the drift in front of the living room window with my eyes nearly on a level with the eaves.  Man, I love living here.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

"If you don't like the weather, wait a minute." Seems like that would apply up there in your part of the world. Mountains of snow one week, daffodils the next. And I'll take the daffodils - thank you very much. And the robins. Welcome signs of Spring.