Sunday, April 8, 2018

Sunday Is For Sewing

Today it was anyway.  I had this Tunic No. 1 from 100 Acts of Sewing all done last year but I'd reverted to using a 5/8" seam so it was too tight and the neckline was too wide and low.  I picked out the hem and side seams a bit into the sleeves and planned to add a gusset.  I had cut out a piece of fabric the same red linen as the pocket and some pieces to make the whole thing longer but hadn't thought of what I'd use as the gussets so it hung there where it could frown at me every time I went downstairs to do wash or get something from the freezer.  On one of my fabric frenzy trips to Joann's Fabrics last summer I bought a couple yards of red and blue striped cotton and realized when it surfaced a few days ago that it's a postal stripe, like used to be on the edge of air mail envelopes.  Since there are stamps and other postal related designs on the original tunic fabric I figured it was the right stuff and today was the day to get that thing done once and for all.  So I did.  

 

After I finished this pair of leggings first.  All that needed to be done was putting on the elastic and hemming the legs.  Took about 30 minutes.  Why I leave things lay there when they're so near to completion is beyond me.  I have a couple yards of pumpkin linen to make a dress to go with the leggings; I'm hoping to get that cut out one day this week.  Wednesday, maybe.



When I finished up my yoga practice this morning I looked up to see this bunny standing just outside the patio door like a sentinel or a lookout.  It didn't stay long and then soon after a pair of bunnies came along.  Maybe the first one was a scout.  I haven't seen or heard any hawks lately.


 
I made the best supper tonight.  This is sesame-lime broiled swordfish with asparagus and sugar snap peas frittata.  So good and zero points.  No, really, neither dish costs any points.  (hey, I might be on "a diet" but I refuse to eat dull or boring food) I felt better about my dish of chocolate ice cream tonight.  Not that I don't have ice cream every night but tonight it didn't feel like I should eat it in the closet.


All of the snow that we've had this week and the cold have made it seem like spring was far far away.  However, here is feathered proof that spring is on the way.  This goldfinch comes every couple days to have a snack of thistle seeds and every time I see him he's more and more yellow.  I might have to keep my snow shovel handy but one of these days it'll be spring.

April 8--Nakkas Osman, The Reception of the Hungarian Crown Prince Zsigismond Janos by Suleyman I on 29 June, 1566.  

The tiles were cold
his feet travel worn.
The court hummed,
stared at the emissary
come from afar.
Did he bring conflict,
brides,
or alliances?
His purse was small,
his manner diffident,
almost insolent.
Courtiers' hands touched cold steel
ready to defend
the sultan's honor.
~~~~~

Today my baby brothers are 62 years old.  I know that doesn't make them sound like babies but when one of your earliest memories is riding in the back seat of the car with Grandma by your side and a tiny baby on your lap, they kind of keep being baby brothers.  Happy day, guys.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That tunic is my favorite of all your wardrobe additions. Love it. Bunnies and a yellow bird are a reminder that Spring must be out there somewhere and getting closer all the time. Loved talking with you yesterday. So glad we're here for each other even though we're far apart. Love you.