Sunday, April 29, 2018

Stakes--check. Bales--check.

I meant to go yesterday but got caught in the kitchen so this morning I went to Menard's to spend our rebate from stuff for fixing up the rental side on some 8 ft. tall stakes to use on either end of the bales this year.  I brought them home, then went to Stein's for bales.  I am so glad that our side yard is wide enough that I can drive around back to unload heavy or bulky things.  I'll get them set up probably Tuesday or Wednesday then I can start conditioning the bales in preparation for planting after the middle of May.



The rhubarb's getting bigger.  Soon there will be pie.  Or bread.  Or crisp.




 
While we had lunch Durwood spotted this Downy Woodpecker on the suet.  I've been wondering when we'd see a woodpecker and today was the day.







After lunch I went downstairs and sewed up this Tunic.  This cow fabric came from my friend BD's late mom's stash.  I couldn't resist making something with it.  I mean, cow fabric, what's not to love?  I got 2 more dresses started but had to stop to make supper and didn't get back there until too late to finish them tonight.  I'll get back down there soon and get them done.

April 29--Charles Conder, A Holiday at Mentone.  

A little square of painting
perforated all around,
meant to speed
letters from me to you.
Chosen for the story
the picture tells,
a bonus message,
a hidden compliment
of what you mean
to me.
~~~~~

I always try to make the stamp I put on notes and cards kind of go with the recipient.  Don't you?  Have you looked at stamps?  They're really pretty and I love the variety.  Durwood always wants flags.  Boring.  I get one sheet of a whole bunch of them, each one different, and enjoy doling them out.  Do you realize that tomorrow's the last day of April already?  I am amazed.  Especially since we had frost last night again.  *sigh*
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I do the same thing with stamps. And I always save at least four of each year's Christmas stamp. But then I save many things! You're right that each one is a little work of art. Even the flags.
Can't wait to see the progression of the bale garden this year.