Saturday, April 7, 2018

The Lesson For Today...

..is don't take a toddler with you down the dry soup aisle of Fleet Farm.  Because, you see, on the other side of the aisle are 28 oz. bags of animal crackers.  He might not be able to read like his big sister but he knows a giant bag of cookies when he sees one.  Okay, okay, I bought it.




It snowed tiny little flakes all day long on Tuesday, through our trips across town to various appointments and back.  It kept snowing all night into Wednesday morning giving us a record 8.1" of snow to deal with.  The only redeeming thing was that the sun muscled its way out from behind the snow clouds and melted the daylights out of the snow.  Plus I got to snowshoe around for a while once the erranding was completed.  And it was sunny all day Thursday so most of the snow melted, okay, half of it melted.


However.

Mother Nature wasn't done with us, not by a long shot.  Here's what it looked like out the patio doors just after noon yesterday.  I was too demoralized by the sight of it to strap on the snowshoes again, besides I took them back downstairs.  I haven't heard how many inches of snow we got yesterday but since the Friday storm came with sub-freezing temps the snow is staying around a bit more.  Although it is sunny today so the deeper snow on the edge of the driveway (where I almost slipped on an icy patch and fell this morning) was very easy to shovel off this afternoon.



In yarn news, I found a free pattern for a crocheted Oreo.  The first is the thin one so I read through the notes that others made and one person had said she made the second round half-double crochets instead, then I slip stitched around the edge of the white layer so it's more evident.  OJ likes them.  I think I'll crochet a chicken drumstick next or maybe some fruit.  We like fruit, OJ and I.  We like blackberries right now.  A lot.  It was a good thing that Meemaw found them for 88 cents a box last week.




I had a class this afternoon that involved mostly listening to someone read out of a binder with a few opportunities to comment so I had lots of time to knit, which meant that Car Knitting Warshrag #11 got a lot of rows added.  Maybe it won't take a year to finish this one.


Despite the snow this week and the cold temps, this little pale purple crocus braved the crazy spring weather and the hyacinth in the most protected corner continues to grow its flower stalk taller.











April 7--Eugene Delacroix, Two Studies of an Indian from Calcutta, Seated & Standing.  
With startled eyes
he perches, ready to spring
up, away
from the artist's scrutiny,
suspicious of the image maker
and the image making,
willing to sit, unwilling to be captured
in paint.
How will his essence escape entrapment?
~~~~~

I don't have to set my alarm for tomorrow morning.  I've set it for the last two mornings and, may I say that being a retired person not even a year, I don't like it, not one little bit.  I'm going to "let" Durwood fold the overflowing basket of clean laundry tomorrow because I want him to feel needed.  I'm just that nice.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That hyacinth is the shining star in the photo department today. So pretty. And if you're snowed in with the seemingly endless winter stuff, as least you won't starve. Plenty of animal crackers to see you through!!