Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thursday's Promptitude


Tonight is writer's. Jennifer and I decided that, since Jenny's going to be gone, we'd make it Project Night. Both of us are doing NaNoWriMo and can use the time to beef up our word counts. I've spent part of this morning copying travel diary pages from the 3 trips we made to the island of Anguilla in the British West Indies were I'm setting my story so I'll have easily accessible info about settings and people and places. I fully intend to make the island do my bidding, relocating things from one island and out of one mouth to another. So far I've been wallowing in scene setting and kind of staggering around within the area of my story getting my bearings. I'm not worried at all about settling down to make sense of things, I'm just blabbering on, skipping from idea to idea, not even much dialogue yet, but I'll get there. I'm enjoying revisiting this warm and friendly island and the middle-aged woman character who came to life in a short story almost 10 years ago. Huh. Have I really been writing that long? Anyway, this morning I skipped writing at home so I could leave early to go visit my brother who is in the hospital with a lung fungus, so now that I've art prompted, I'll be firing up Alphie and getting down to the business of nailing down at least 1667 words for the day. I even remembered the USB cable so I can download and count what I write and work today. (I like knowing how many words I have, it satisfies my innerHitler so she leaves me alone--sorta.)

November 5--Byzantine School, Peter and Paul Embracing. Like long-lost brothers the two men came together in the center of the terminal. There was a lot of hearty back slapping and loud laughter accompanying the embrace so that witnesses wouldn't think they were gay, or even too glad to see each other. It was obvious that these old friends were glad to see each other, that they love each other, although they'd rather cut out their tongues than admit it. They were college roommates nearly fifty years ago and then Navy buddies so they had spent some times together getting into and out of scrapes, swapping girlfriends, and drinking the thin sour beer that Pete's grandpa brewed in the shed behind the brooder house on the family farm. Passersby smiled to see the glow of delight emanating from the two old friends, and their wives shook their heads, both of them glad they had brought things to pass the time because anyone could see that Pete and Paul had eyes only for each other.

Hokay, that's that for today. Now to get the noveling rolling...
--Barbara

No comments: