Monday, November 30, 2009

Okay, I Couldn't Stand It

I didn't write at all yesterday. I had finished the story and written over 50k words in 28 days. I had won, I was done. Well, evidently not, because I can't seem to turn it off. All the way to work today (all 4 1/2 miles) I kept thinking of scenes, what happens next, so I plugged in my flash drive and plunged back in. In between customers and phone calls, I pecked away at the keys, getting another 1,379 words down. Here are some of them:

It took a while for the reality of Ms. Janet Fielding to sink in. In the space of an hour we had finished a long and costly renovation and my first guest had come in the front door. I watched Janet Fielding walk back down the beach toward Johnno’s swinging her tote bag and skipping every few steps. Skipping. She was so happy to be moving into the Seaview that she was skipping. I waited until I could barely see her in the swiftly fading sunset light before turning to rejoin Iggy in the kitchen. As soon as I turned to go he came out of the hall. “Who was that?” he asked. I could not keep the grin from my face. “That was my first guest. Can you believe it? I can not.” I flung my arms around his neck and danced in a circle around him. “She said she has been watching and waiting until we were ready to open because she can not afford the rent for her Shoal Bay villa and she is a writer and she wants to sit on my gallery and live in my yellow bedroom and write her next novel. Her next novel, Iggy, that is the coolest thing I could ever imagine.” I stopped hopping and dancing around the room and put my fingers to my lips. “I wonder if I could buy one of her books here on the island.” I frowned at the shelves above the coffee bar. “I had planned to use those shelves and cubbies for books that my guests can read and share, you know a kind of casual lending library. It would be so cool to have copies of books by authors who stay here, would it not?” Iggy was laughing at me, chuckling in that warm and sexy way he has, making it sound like what I am saying is the most amusing and delightful thing he has ever heard. I went back over to fling myself at him. “Oh, do not laugh at me; I am so excited. Wait until I tell the kids.” I danced down the hall, through the kitchen, and into my little apartment. He followed me, his eyes caressing me as I led him into the bedroom.

It is so good to be bubbling over with ideas again. It was a long dry spell.

Daily count: 1379 words
Total count: 52,411 words

Today is the end of NaNoWriMo, but I know I'm going to keep going. This story of Rose and her dreams keeps pulling me forward. That's a good thing.

--Barbara

No comments: