Monday, November 23, 2009

Actual Work

I had actual work to do at work today so I didn't get to write there. I started to feel put out by that fact and then I realized that they pay me to do work there so I should really do it when it presents itself. Plus it hasn't taken me all that long to pound out my daily words today. I've resolved to just chuck all the ideas I have in my arsenal at the story and untangle it later. It seems to work. Who knew? Here's some from today's efforts:

I was tucked into my corner of the lobby surveying a pile of fabric scraps that I hoped to turn into interesting little table cloths or place mats when I felt a hand on my back. I turned thinking it was Iggy but instead found myself staring into the leering eyes of Calvin Brooks. I leaned back in my chair hoping to dislodge his sweaty hand from my shoulder blade. “Can I help you, Calvin?” I said in the stiffest voice I could muster. He began to move his hand, massaging my back and shoulder, straying lower and lower to the center of my back. “Maybe I can help you, Rosie, with your plumbing, you know.” He winked at me, leering. My stomach rolled and I pushed myself to my feet, placing my chair between us. “Help me do what exactly?” I folded my arms across my chest. His hand reached out as if to touch me again but I batted it away. “The only help I need from you is to have my hotel’s plumbing replaced,” I said keeping my voice low. “I can not believe that you would suggest such a thing. Do you not realize that I have been spending nights with Iggy and that I have made friends with Dru?” He shrugged and lifted his hands as if weighing something round and soft. “Sometimes one man is not enough; sometimes one woman is not either.” That was it, the end of my patience. I pointed out toward the kitchen. “Out. Get out of my sight and stay out.” He backed up as if I had slapped him, his hands protectively out in front of him. “You do not have to…” “Oh, I think I do have to, Calvin. You obviously have an elevated impression of yourself and a low opinion of women, especially Dru and I. Now, go and work. If you decide that you do not want this job, I will understand and find another plumber.” He shambled away shaking his head mumbling about “just trying to be friendly.”

Uck. What a snake.

Daily count: 1889 words
Total count: 39,839 words

They're piling up! One more week...
--Barbara

No comments: