Saturday, November 21, 2009

I Did It!

Whew! I wrote two days worth of words in one day. My left shoulder blade has a terrible cramp in it and I don't know why or how to sit differently to make it stop, but I sure am glad I did this. I am happy with the story and the way it is coming out. Maybe I can do this writing thing after all. Here's a bit of this evening's writings:

It was Saturday; a day we usually did not work, but Iggy and I wandered down to the Seaview after washing our breakfast dishes and showering. Iggy called his friend Calvin who is a plumber. With the wiring almost finished and Silas and Edward making such rapid progress with the walls Iggy said it was time for the pipes to get their makeover. And it would be much easier to get things out of the container if the huge stack of P V C pipes and fittings were gone. Calvin drove up just as we arrived at the hotel. He was in his faded green work truck with Calvin Brooks’s Plumbing painted on the door. Calvin and his truck both looked as if they had been in business a long time, both of them a bit dented and grayed out. Iggy introduced us and I felt Calvin’s eyes travel down and up my body to finally meet mine with a knowing wink. I put on my most frosty look and shook his hand without a smile. He started talking to Iggy as if he was the hotel’s owner and the one who would be paying him but Iggy quickly diverted him, saying, “Calvin, I told you that Mrs. Rose here would need your services. Silas and I have gotten the wiring replaced and now it is time for you to replace all the pipes with the new P V C ones that she has shipped here.” Calvin rocked back on his heels and looked me up and down again, folding his arms across his ample chest. “Well, now, Mr. Solomon, I do not know about needing to replace all of the pipes. Some of them might just be usable yet.” I interrupted him. “Mr. Brooks, I am the owner of the hotel and I am the one who makes the decisions. I am not a babe in the woods and if you think you are going to be working with a foolish woman who knows nothing about building or construction you are mistaken.”

Now they have the plumber. That means things are moving right along at The Seaview. Pretty soon they can paint and Rose can start advertising for guests. Ooh, this is exciting.

Daily count: 1770 words
Total count: 36,265 words

More tomorrow. Sayonara!
--Barbara

No comments: