Thursday, November 26, 2009

So Full

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you are replete with turkey and stuffing and pie--ooh and homemade orange cranberry sauce like Durwood made today. Delicious. It was a lovely day of phone calls to and from loved ones and dozing after a big meal while football players crashed around on tv. I wrote and read and knitted a bit. A lovely day. I can't believe that there's only four more writing days left of NaNoWriMo. It has been a pain in the ass and a lot of fun all at the same time. I highly recommend it for the sheer freedom of it. Here's a bit of today's efforts:

It was nice to be able to see my kids after so long but suddenly I felt as if I were under surveillance. In the morning after coffee and a bit of toast, we all went down to the Seaview. There was a note tacked to the back door and Silas was nowhere to be seen. The note said that the second cargo container would be arriving on the island freighter arriving that night and we should empty container number one so that it could go back to the dock when they had dropped off number two. I had the second key to the padlock on the container; Silas had one too, so I opened it to see what exactly needed to be moved into the hotel. Once I got past the tools and scraps of pipe and plywood there really was not that much left in there. I called Silas and Iggy to tell them that the next container would be arriving and that I needed help emptying this one. Both of them said that they would be over before noon to help. When I passed this info on to the kids, Dane’s eyebrows rose so high that I thought they might just pop right off his forehead. “They are coming today to help? But is it not Saturday?” He looked at Elizabeth who nodded that it was indeed Saturday. “We have worked quite a few Saturdays,” I said trying to keep the sarcasm out of my voice, “I am capable of hiring responsible workers, even at my advanced age and general feebleness.” Dane flung out a hand and if he could wipe out my words. “Geez, Mom, all right, I get it. You can take care of yourself and I will stay out of your way.” He crossed his arms over his chest and stuck out his bottom lip in a classic brutz just like he had as a little boy. “Oh, all right,” I said, “I will drop it. Sorry, but I could not resist one last dig.” I brushed my hands together. “Let us get started.”

Things are heating up and speeding up, I look forward to getting the entire story down before midnight on Monday.

Daily total: 3000 words
Total count: 46,786 words

Go have more pie!
--Barbara

No comments: