Sunday, November 22, 2009

Did We Miss Autumn and Winter?

It sure felt like spring today. I doodled around outside, filling birdfeeders, waiting around for the fly-over, taking the dead plants from the garden to the yard waste place, and didn't get around to writing until about 3 PM. I wasn't really clear about what was going to happen today but Rose went to supper with the plumber and his wife, and Iggy of course, and she made a new friend in Dru, the plumber's wife. Here's a bit:

Just then Iggy came in to say that the coals were ready; that Calvin wanted the Dorado steaks. “Are you women in here just gabbing or are you making the rest of the supper?” Dru swatted him and then handed him the plate of fish steaks that she removed from the refrigerator. “We are working, mister smart aleck. What do you think? Women always work.” She shoved him toward the back door. It did not escape Dru’s notice that he detoured around to lean down to ask if I was doing all right. “Oh my,” she said. I looked up rather guiltily. “Oh my what?” I looked over my shoulder to make certain no one else could hear. “He is not married, is he? Oh damn.” I felt cold and guilty without even hearing the answer. “Oh heavens, no. Girl, that is one honest man. He would never cheat, not even if his woman were a real witch.” “What then?” She covered her mouth with her fingers as if holding back tears. “Iggy’s wife died about five years ago from cancer. I thought he would go right after her he was so grief stricken. Many single ladies on the island and from other islands tried their best to lure him into their beds, into their lives. He told all of them that he was just not ready for that yet. Now here you come and there he goes.” She stared out the door he had just gone through. “There are going to be a lot of disappointed women around here, is all I can say.”

It's hard to meet your new lover's old friends.

Daily count: 1685 words
Total count: 37,950 words

Eight more writing days until The End. Holy smokes!
--Barbara

No comments: