Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Today Felt Like Spring

I love days like today, even if I'm trapped at work and not able to be out in it. I decree that it stay like this, or get warmer, until the beginning of June when summer can begin. I'm sure that Mother Nature will comply. Oh, we can have rain so the farmers can grow our food, but no more below freezing temps or snow. I'm done with that.

Thanks for the compliment, Jennifer. I loved your piece. It made me tear up a bit at the end. Haven't heard a word from Jenny, although I did hear her come home last night late so I know she's still alive. See you tomorrow night.

April 8--Harald Oscar Sohlberg, Summer Night. This far north it never really gets dark. Marja stood on the deck watching the pastels of dawn paint their way across the sky even though it was nearer midnight. Since she had been small she had pictured the sun just below the horizon bouncing like dropped ball. The light faded then surged, faded then surged, teasing the clouds with colors and sending confused birds wheeling to their nests and then back into the sky to gorge on insects that never sleep. She looked at her flower boxes ringing the deck to see the white trumpet flowers glowing as if illuminated by the solar light, like radiant moons lined up for her pleasure. Behind her she heard Rol murmur in his sleep and the rustle of the sheets as he shifted position. "Marja? Are you all right?" he said in his sleep-roughened voice. "Ja, I am out here," she said, but his only answer is a grunting snore. The long view of the sky was hers again, only hers.

I am intrigued by the long summer days in the far north when the sun never really sets but hides just below the horizon. It would probably drive me just as crazy as the neverending nights of winter.

Happy birthday today to my baby brothers, Tom & Andy, the twinnies. They're 53 today.
--Barbara


No comments: