Monday, April 6, 2009

EGad...that's a bad bedroom!

You definitely hit the nail on the head...a hospital room looks much better even with a sliced off ear than VanGogh's bedroom!

Write About Eating a Meal

As a child, I never had to worry about where my next meal came from. Food was hot, it was plentiful and always on time. God, I miss those days. Today's meals either don't exist, are the thrown out scraps found in trashcans, dumpsters, or worse, on the ground. But when you are lucky, you get a free meal provided by volunteers. Those are the best.

You gotta sign up for those meals fast, otherwise you miss out. If you're lucky, you can get two meals a month, the rest you are on your own. There is one place in particular that I make sure I get on the list for the night they sponsor a meal. It's a temple just outside of the city and it requires a bus ride to get to the place. It's those rides that get me off my aching feet and for just a moment allow me to pretend that I'm no different than anyone else. Except deep down, I know that I am.

I love the meals at this temple because they always go beyond what the other places do as far as providing a meal. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that beggars can't be choosers, but you can't help but feel special when you pass through their door. I know that some of my friends complain because the meals are kosher, but hey, just because you can't have butter on your bread when meat is served, doesn't mean it's a bad meal. I'd like to know the last time they got buttered bread when they went dumpster diving.

There's a guy at the temple that I always look forward to seeing. He does alot of the cooking for our meals but he's always adding little touches that we never expect. Like, they sponsored a genuine cook-out for us and he added grilled onions. He'll make a gourmet sauce to go over the vegetables that is so good, if you close your eyes, the clink of the silverware against the plates and the hum of conversation will transport you to a four-star restaurant in the city.

He brings his daughters to the dinners and they spend time talking with us. It's nice. It's good to see some parents raising their kids to find ways to help out others and not to pity those who are less fortunate. His daughters play games with us and talk to us like we are regular people. It's nice.

Since I've been coming to this temple, I've tried hard to improve my situation. I've quit drinking and I go to three AA meetings a week. I realize it was my drinking that cost me my job, my wife and kids and put me out on the streets. Like they say at AA, it's one day at a time, one step at a time. Someday I hope to never have to get on that bus, go to that temple, and eat another volunteer sponsored meal. It will be hard not seeing that guy and his daughters, but it's only because I intend to help others like he once helped me.

No comments: