Thursday, August 13, 2026

Hummingbird!

I saw one! Really. And it hung around long enough for me to take two pictures. Oh, I'm so happy that I saw a Hummingbird in real life and didn't have to just assume they're coming by because the nectar is lower in the feeder.

 


Then the Bluejays were back. First I saw one on the Adirondack chair arm but by the time I got the camera up and ready it had flown down to the patio and hopped over toward the patio table. Then three of them showed up--one on the crook, one on the retaining wall, and one on the fence. I'm posting this picture because it's the sharpest one.

 

And in the afternoon a Red-bellied Woodpecker landed on the suet nuggets. Naturally it only showed me its tail but every once in a while I saw a flash of its striped back. Also there were Sparrows trying to share the tiny bit of nuggets left and it lunged at them with its beak and feathers flew. Fierce!

 


In the morning I drew a gratitude journal page for yesterday. I was most grateful for being able to do yoga and for seeing a Bluejay on the suet nuggets feeder.

 

Today I went back to the In the Forest watercolor coloring book and painted these flowers. It said to paint dashes and marks on the flower petals but I didn't like the way that looked so I didn't. I'm such a rebel.

 

 I had an appointment with my Edw. Jones financial advisor, CLM, this morning and she told me that I still have enough money to last until I'm 90, and probably longer since I'm not spending as quickly as she thinks I can or should. She added up all of my assets to calculate my net worth and I was surprised at the number. I thank Durwood for forcing me to learn a little about investing and because of him I can at least read the financial reports and understand what they're saying. I looked at one graph and realized that the accounts have done much better since I took over the reins which surprised me. Go, me!

My fruit fly sticky trap is doing its job. There's a nice fringe of tiny brown bodies on the edge of the trap. They're not going anywhere. Although there's one that keeps flying past me as I'm sitting here. I wonder what's attracting it since I don't have any fruit back here. 

--Barbara 

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Yay for a real live humming bird in your own backyard! Glad you could "capture" it for all of your loyal friends.