Thursday, October 15, 2020

Thursday Slump

I had a slump day today.  Just wasn't motivated to do much of anything.  I kind of moped around, did a little writing, a little knitting, wound some hanks of yarn into balls, nothing much to talk about.  Didn't go anyplace and only got a wrong number on the phone.  At least the lady was polite enough to leave a message that she'd dialed wrong.

I complained the other day about no interesting birds at the feeders but that wasn't today.  This morning a little Nuthatch came to the suet feeder and stayed there, posing, until I snapped a picture.  They're usually very speedy.  They dart in, grab a seed, and zip off.  Today it stayed around for at least a minute, maybe more.  Then I saw a Bluejay in the grass under the big feeder but it was down behind the grass blades and shepherd's crooks so even if it had stayed a little longer I wouldn't have gotten a decent picture.  I was just glad to see it.


At tonight's knitting guild meeting we had a speaker do a program about knitting a sweater that fits your body type and coloring.  It was interesting.  Now we're supposed to figure out our body type (I think I'm "round") and our best colors (red? pale yellow?), then research a pattern or two that fits our profile.  I don't know what size to think about knitting since I've lost weight and plan to lose more.  Should I choose a size smaller than I need?  Maybe I'll just wait until... until what?  Until I've lost a lot more weight?  Pretend I'll knit something that fits now just to play along?  I'm for sure not buying any yarn.  I still have too much.  We had a nice group attend tonight.  Zooming is starting to feel almost like really getting together.

Today is the end of Better Than Mom's.  It feels like I'm cheating with this little wrap-up but it's what I have.  I tried to expand this but haven't had much luck.

15 October--Barbara Malcolm, Better Than Mom's. 

Life settled down for the denizens of Better Than Mom’s.  Brady and Naomi kept dating around his restaurant schedule and her school schedule.  Marcus came in every day after school to do his homework at a table at the rear of the dining room, Raymond helped him with his business management class, then he would bus tables if James wasn’t working. 

Fay and Norman kept dancing.  They took more lessons and Fay started buying costumes from dance suppliers instead of the thrift store.  She bought shoes meant for dancing, they were easier on her feet.  Fay took weekends off so that she and Norm could dance in amateur competitions, but they made sure to stop in at the diner for pie on their way home. 

John and Rosa got married and had their wedding luncheon in the diner.  Brady closed for the day so that the guests wouldn’t feel like they had to leave in time for the supper hour.  Some of John’s recipes made it onto the menu too.  His Tamale Pie was especially popular on the buffet and Steve always bought a quart of Texas Black Bean Soup to take home.  

Steve made the decision to own his writing and was surprised when sales didn’t sag after the revelation that Layne Wilcox was a man named Steve.

None of them could imagine Better Than Mom’s without the others.  They turned into a family.


Today's toss was a little more sock yarn.  See?  I told you that I have too much yarn.

I think the landscaper's coming tomorrow.  I didn't get a call today but I'll plan on getting up earlier than usual, around 7am, so that I'll be dressed if they come  I should probably set an alarm.  Ugh.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I hope you're up and dressed right now. I am -- waiting for cleaning lady to show up. Getting a perm later today and know that'll improve my appearance if not my attitude!! Wishing you a better day today. These are such challenging times but glad to read they all lived happily ever after at Better Than Mom's!