Thursday, October 1, 2020

Everybody Into The Pool

 

That's what I figured the Sparrows were saying this morning.  Look at how many of them there are.  I didn't catch any of them hunkered down and splashing but there was a lot of that going on between shutter presses.  I love when they're all in there just having a fine time getting clean.



These two House Finches spent time this morning investigating between the fibers of the mat on the patio step.  They were very thorough, taking their time, and carefully checking things out.


I promised a different flower today and here it is.  This mound of chrysanthemums is the prettiest coral red color and it's just covered with blooms.  I wish mums smelled better.  They don't smell bad, kind of spicy, but they can't compare with Dad's roses.



Leaves are turning all up and down the street.  My tiny baby tree is still all green but the neighbor's big maple tree is changing color at an alarming rate.  The lawn across the street is covered with leaves already and their tree isn't bare yet.


I thought about mowing the lawn today but was saved by the 2 hours early arrival of the furnace tuneup guys.  One of them did the air conditioners since they were unable to come in the spring due to our stay-at-home order and the other serviced the furnaces.  They wore masks and were very efficient.  Naturally one furnace needed a new igniter and they both needed filters so I had to pay for those but the tuneups were covered by our Comfort Club memberships.  It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.  I'll mow tomorrow or next week one day.

While the furnace guys were here I knitted on the Warm Tweed Beanie and got the deep brim knitted and started on the body of the hat.  I have a bunch more rounds to go before the crown decreases but it's coming along.  Thick yarn + big needles = fast progress.  I like that.

01 October--Barbara Malcolm, Better Than Mom's. 

“What?” she said.  “Do I have dirt on my face?” 

He opened and closed his mouth like a fish in the bottom of a skiff.  “Uh, no.  Uh, holy shit, Fay.  Oh, sorry I swore, but you look…” 

“I look?” 

He stood transfixed and silent in the hallway. 

Finally, she lost patience.  “Oh, for heaven’s sake, Norman, come in.” 

He stumbled over the threshold, never taking his eyes off her.  Eventually he found his tongue.  “Fay, you look beautiful.  In my wildest dreams I never imagined you would look like this tonight.”  

She smiled at the look of wonder on his face.  “Are we ready?” she asked. 

“You might want to bring a jacket or something,” he said.  “It gets kind of chilly out in the country.” 

She pulled a jacket out of the closet next to the door and said, “Okay, I am ready.  Let us go.” 

Fay felt a contentment or relaxation come over her as they walked down the hall and out the door to his pickup.  Norman unlocked and opened the door for her and waited until she was settled before gently closing it.  She reached across and pulled up the lock knob for him.  He was surprised. 

“Thanks.” 

Both of them were mostly quiet on the fairly long drive to the country bar and supper club.  Fay was surprised to see the number of cars clustered around the place. 

“Quite the crowd,” she said as Norman pulled into the parking lot. 

“Yep, there is.  A lot of people like the food and I hear the band is really good.” 

Fay reached out for the door handle to get out, but Norman said, “Wait.  Let me come around and get the door.” 

“Okay.” 


Today's toss was a small bag of stones, bark, acorns, and other souvenirs from times in the woods.  This week, if times were normal, I'd be at The Clearing for a writing workshop.  Instead I'm home with the furnace guys and my knitting.  I just couldn't face that little bag of memories of walking the paths at The Clearing and finding something to commemorate the day.  Maybe we'll get to go next year.  Maybe if I was at The Clearing I could figure out a good way to wrap up Better Than Mom's.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Love all the birds in your birdbath. We used to get flocks of robins splashing around in ours back in Wilmington. Definite sign of the changing season. And the neighbor's tree. Nice shot of the mums too. Always love your photos -- and news, too.