Saturday, October 10, 2020

Action Shot

 

I snapped another Chickadee picture today but this one isn't a sedate portrait.  It's an action shot.  One of those split-second moments between one breath and another.  I like it a lot.


 


Here's the suet loving squirrel back again.  The other day it realized that I'd filled one side of the feeder so it's begun coming back for a suet snack a couple times (that I notice) a day.  It frustrates me that the squirrel eats the suet meant for the woodpeckers but not as much as it would irritate the daylights out of Durwood.  He had a real vendetta against squirrels.  I don't.


Today was a  knitting day.  I finished the crown decreases of the Warm Ragg Beanie after lunch and am happy to report that even though the hat is lots smaller than the previous one it still fits my melon so I am confident that it'll fit some seaman.  I need to go over to LB's house to drop them off next week.



This evening I added some rounds to the Virgo Campfire Sock.  I have a hard time working on the sock mostly because I'm not much of a fan of the colors of the yarn but also because the yarn and needles are so skinny that it takes too long to get anywhere.  I'll keep adding a few rounds here and there and eventually I'll have a sock.

 

 

10 October--Barbara Malcolm, Better Than Mom's. 

Less than a month later Naomi and Brady walked out of the Registrar’s office on the University of Wisconsin-Stinson on the other side of town.  Naomi held a bulging folder against her chest.  “I can’t believe I just did that.”  The hand holding the folder shook.  “I can’t believe that my financial aid grants are more than welfare would be, so I don’t have to go back on.”

            “You did it,” Brady said, “and I’m so proud of you.  You’re a real college coed now.  Let’s go find the bookstore.  You need textbooks.”

            “No, not now.  One step at a time.  School will start in three weeks and I have time to get my books.” She turned to look at him. “Don’t I?”

            He put his arm around her waist.  “You have time, not a lot of time, but some time.  Let’s just find the bookstore so you know where to go when you come to buy books.”  He saw a campus map on the wall and steered her over to it.  “Look we don’t even have to walk outside in the heat to get there.  We follow the blue tunnel.”  He turned and walked away; Naomi followed, dragging her feet.


Today's toss was a wooden bowl shaped like a fish and a carved storyboard I bought in Palau when we went there on a dive trip 20 years ago.  Holy crap, that long?  Yep, DS was in the army, DD was in college, and he got out of the service in 2001, so 20 years.

It was another beautiful day, a little cooler and breezy, but still a nice day for a walk.  All too soon it'll be too chilly and crummy for a nice walk. Coming home from my walk I saw that the purple/red violet mums are blooming.  It's funny, in July the flowers are pale purple, now they're more of a red violet.  I don't understand how that happens.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Definitely an action shot of the chickadee. And that squirrel is an acrobat!! Glad the latest hat will go on some sailor's head and all that effort wasn't worthless. Got my computer back yesterday afternoon so I'm back in business!!