Sunday, October 4, 2020

Last Hangers-On

 

It's getting hard to find a flower to share with you every day.  Today we have one of the last geraniums hanging on.  It's supposed to hit freezing tonight so that might change in just a few hours.  This little geranium is kind of hunkered down low in a pot with leaves around it sheltering it a bit.


I got to take a family walk with DS and family this morning.  I got my wish too, the sun was shining and the sky was blue.  It didn't cloud up until later in the afternoon, after I was done soaking up Vitamin D in the sunshine because we stayed outside and sat in the sun after walking while the kids played with sidewalk chalk.  LC made an obstacle course with the chalk that was fun.  So creative those kids are.



This afternoon I searched out a hat pattern for super bulky yarn hoping to find something that would be a fast knit.  I'm pretty slow so I need all the help I can get.  I found a couple patterns that I'd made before and decided to cast on one of them, The Colvin Hat, after supper.  I got the band done and now am on to knitting the hat body.  Maybe I'll get that part done tomorrow--after I mow because it's supposed to be warmer and sunny again tomorrow.  Gotta strike while the weather cooperates.  Each time I mow I think that maybe it'll be the last time for the season.


Man, the ice cream demon has been strong this week.  It's been all I could do not to go into the freezer and eat a whole stack of the little ice cream portions I have in there.  I even stopped for a frozen custard today on my way home from the walk and still felt like it wasn't enough.  I wish there was a switch I could flip to shut that urge up once and for all.

04 October--Barbara Malcolm, Better Than Mom's. 

Naomi pushed the door shut and a voice behind her said, “So, how was the date?”

She put a hand on her chest. “Good grief, Marcus, you scared me to death.”

“Sorry.  Did you have a good time?”

She hung up her jacket.  “I had a good time.  We talked the whole time, and now,” she yawned, “I’m off to bed.  We have church and then I have to work tomorrow.”

 “G’night, Mom.”

 

It was close to midnight when Fay and Norman left the supper club.  They had danced every dance once their meal was finished.

“I wouldn’t have pegged you for a dancer,” Fay said.

Norman looked offended.  “What did you think?”

“I thought you’d be a watcher and maybe a toe-tapper, but not a dancer.  I got the feeling you toned it down for me.”

“I did.”  He pulled back onto the state highway that would take them back to Stinson.  “Did you like dancing?”

She turned in the seat to face him.  “I loved it.  I wish I had on better shoes and a dress with a skirt that would swirl out like in those old Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies.  Maybe I can find something at the thrift store for next time.”  She covered her mouth with her hand.  “If you want there to be a next time, that is.”

Norman let out a breath.  “I definitely want there to be a next time.”  They drove in silence for a while.  “Would you be interested in taking some lessons?  The Park and Rec Department has dancing lessons on Tuesday nights.  We could go.”  He waited for her response.  “It isn’t very expensive.  What do you think?”

“I think dancing lessons is a great idea.”  She paused, then asked, “Can I wear a swirly skirt?”

He smiled at her little-girl voice.  “Of course, you can wear a swirly skirt and see if you can find shoes with a strap so your foot stays in them.  You don’t want to twist an ankle coming out of your shoes.”

Fay reached across the seat, took Norman’s hand, and held it all the way to her apartment.

When they got to Fay’s floor the hall light was out.  Only the Exit sign shed its feeble light in the space.  Fay counted doors to her front door and fumbled her key into the lock.  “I had a good time, Norman.  Thanks for supper and the dancing.  I loved dancing.  Sorry it’s so dark in here.”

Norman’s breath touched her cheek.  “I don’t mind the dark,” he said and kissed his way from her cheek to her lips.  “I don’t mind the dark one bit.”

Fay’s breath caught in her throat as he kissed his way to her mouth.  Then their lips were touching and everything else faded away.  Her hands reached to hold his shoulders and his hand slid up behind her head.

He broke the kiss, dipped down for one more, and then said, “Good night, Fay, I had a wonderful time.  I’ll see you tomorrow.”  His hand lightly squeezed her neck and then he was gone.

Fay closed her door and leaned against it.  “Oh mercy,” she said aloud, “that long, tall policeman sure can kiss.


Today's toss was a few skeins of yarn that I ran across while looking for yarn to make the hat pattern I picked out.  It wasn't much but every little bit gone helps.

I plugged in the electric blanket the other night and have been turning it on to preheat the sheets before I turn in.  I used to love getting into a cold bed but not anymore.  Now I like being warm when I get in.  It's been hard to stay warm this week, the blanket helps.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Oh mercy indeed! That goodnight kiss made my heart flutter. I think they're going to dance off into the sunset together. Sweet little flower offering. But the times, they are a'changing! Autumn leaves next.