Wednesday, June 17, 2020

No Pictures of Vacuuming

Today's "do something" was vacuuming the carpets and mopping the floors.  I did not take pictures of the vacuuming or the mopping, although there are YouTube videos of people doing just that.  I know this because my littlest grandson, IT, was a big "dacuuming" fan when they were here at Christmas so a lot of videos were watched.


When I went out to get the paper I saw that the red daylilies have started blooming.  It's not a red red, like the roses, but when you buy a red daylily this is what you get.





The peonies are blooming too!  These are transplants from our first house in Green Bay.  They're in a shady spot and kind of crowded by the ferns but they come up every year and make a little showing.


 


This afternoon I went over to Zambaldi Beer to drop off some shorts I took in for LC and to drop off some cookies.  While I was there I got to watch DS string lights around the patio and even got to help a little bit.  More doing something!



Here's today's hawk picture.  This is the smaller, darker one.  I think it caught something this afternoon, didn't see what it was, but I saw it eating something.  I've decided that these are nest mates.  Neither of them has the adult red tail and they're hanging together like they're used to each other.






 17 June--Barbara Malcolm, Tropical Obsession. 
            They stood looking at him as he drove off the paved road onto the barely visible track that wound through the cactus barren to end at the caves at Onima. Jack had come to hate the wild donkeys that roamed the island; their wise dark eyes that stared down the brown furry muzzles seemed to be judging him. The rigid posture as they stood motionless radiated disapproval. Foolish women tourists cooed as if the beasts were cartoons come to life, but Jack had rounded a curve in the coast road late one night and his headlights illuminated a pair of stallions fighting in the center of the road. The little mare had stood coyly on the roadside fluttering her long lashes as the males reared and whinnied, gnashing their yellow teeth at each other’s neck. Jack had sat in his SUV watching the primeval battle unfold in his headlights, shaken by the raw power of the fighting males. These were no petting zoo residents content to nibble donkey chow from an outstretched palm, they were wild and dangerous animals.

He stood facing the cliff, sweat already trickling down his spine even though he had only walked from his Jeep which was parked in the shade about fifty feet away. Manning was glad he had worn thick socks and hiking boots. The ground was pocked with holes and littered with ankle-twisting rocks that had fallen from the cliff face. Tucked in unexpected places were the globe shaped Turk's Cap cacti, their vicious yellow thorns poised below the ridiculous-looking red and white pad on top that had earned it the name. Manning thought the possibility of impaling himself on those thorns would be worse than losing skin to the rough limestone itself. He also knew he would have to be exceptionally careful when he was climbing. The Turk's Cap had a nasty habit of growing babies in every cranny; the young thorns emerged thick and sharp and would pierce leather gloves.


When I stepped on the scale on Monday I had regained the weight I took off the week before.  Grr.  I think I'm working hard to stick with the WW plan but admit that the last couple weeks I've been, uh, flexible in my food choices.  I've had a terrible sweets craving that I just can't shake.  That's why I made cookies the other day, so I can have one a day and not go all nuts making and eating a whole pan of brownies (which I so could do).  So I'm working to stick closer to the straight and narrow this week.  Next Monday will show me how I'm doing.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Love those peonies not letting the ferns get all the glory. Somehow that red day lily looks like a man-flower to me. Like a mate for the yellow ones. Hey, a bi-racial couple!! How "now" of me!! You know, we love all colors in nature. Why can't we love all colors of people? I hate the time we're living in but hopefully some good will come out of it. Glad you got over to Zambaldi and could pitch in and help with the light stringing. Hope you were rewarded with a cold one.