Monday, June 8, 2020

Knittin' A Mitten

 
That's how I spent most of today, knitting a mitten.  I decided that the slip stitch hat needs a pair of mittens to go with it so I pulled the yarn back out and cast on.  This wool yarn has a lot more flexibility than the cotton/linen yarn I used to knit the washcloth and is a lot easier on my hands.  It's also a lot thicker so progress is quicker.  I like that part.  The hat is an large child/small adult size so I'm making the smallest adult size mittens--and I'm keeping very close tabs on how many rows I knit on each part of the mitten so that mitten number two will match mitten number one.




A friend's husband came over this morning with a can of spray foam to fill in the hole in the foundation behind the brick facade and to seal the gap in the window well window frame.  He's coming back in a few days with some special cement to cover the foam and make it look nice.  I feel better now.


 


I saw that the spiderwort down by the streetlight pole is blooming.  Spiderwort is the perfect plant for me; it thrives with neglect and in poor soil.  A perfect match!




The patch of poppies in the garden corner has sent up a phalanx of buds that remind me of garden eels.  Garden eels live in colonies and rise up out of the sand facing into the current to be able to catch any tasty tidbits floating by.  They look just like these flower buds, only the eels aren't green and fuzzy.



Here's another view of Dad's rose.  As always, I wish we had smell-o-vision because this rosebud smells exactly like a rose is supposed to smell.

08 June--Barbara Malcolm, Tropical Obsession. 



         On the way back to their villa after the gallery showing Mona and Jack argued.  Jack had spent the whole evening standing around talking to George and a bunch of other men about his investment in Manning’s treasure hunt.  Mona saw the look that passed among the listening men when Jack first mentioned having put money into the scheme.  She could tell that none of them thought it was a good idea but not one of them said a word.  They let Jack rattle on and on and on about the world class heap of treasure that they were going to find and that the rest of them would be sorry that they had passed up the opportunity. 
         Mona had wracked her brain to try and figure out a way to gently tell Jack that maybe he should reconsider his investment, maybe Manning was not the kind of partner he wanted, but she finally just said it. 
         Of course, Jack blew up at her words.  For once she did not back down, did not let him shout her into submission.  By the time they got to the villa both of them were so angry they stopped speaking.  It was a good thing they had a king-sized bed because they each clung to their own sides making sure not to touch the other.


I called the salon today to make a haircut appointment only to discover that my stylist has retired from the hair business.  Ack!  Luckily he asked them to refer his clients to his wife who works from their home (in a separate, dedicated area, she assured me) so I have an appointment for a haircut on the 18th.  I can't wait.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Those poppy buds look like something from outer space. And so many! You'll have a bevy of blooms pretty soon. I need a haircut too but too lazy to try to make an appointment. This being shut in business makes it hard to get motivated to do much. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.