Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Not Sharing

After not seeing (but hearing) the hawks for a couple days I had an interesting sighting this morning.  Just as I was fixing to go out to mow the lawn I heard the hawk call in the backyard.  I looked out to see that it had caught something and had it on top of the fence.  It was something fairly good sized and furry.  Pretty soon the smaller of the two showed up and the first one spread its tail wide and cupped its wings over its kill.  Not sharing, even though the littler one looked pretty pathetic and needy.  Later on, after mowing, I heard the hawks again and looked up to see them alight in the big tree behind the fence and then a third hawk, one with a red tail, soared in and sat on a branch nearby for a couple minutes.  The two immature hawks set up a racket begging to be fed, leading the adult to vamoose.

Like I said, I mowed the lawn around noon.  No photos were taken but you know what lawn mowing looks like.  I have to say that I hate my yard, there's barely a flat spot in the whole thing, and it's too big.  It takes me an hour and it's a half-mile of walking.  Not that I can't walk a half-mile, I can, but the uneven yard makes it more of a challenge.  Thank goodness that Durwood insisted on buying me a self-propelled mower.  If I had to push the danged thing, I'd hire a service.


All of the zinnias are blooming in the planters on the patio.  I saw a butterfly flutter by this afternoon so maybe they'll start visiting soon.  Last year I had swallowtails and monarchs on zinnias.  Fingers crossed.


I think tomorrow's toss will be all of the random water bottles and sippy cups that have collected on the shelves as LC and OJ have outgrown them.

24 June--Barbara Malcolm, Tropical Obsession. 
It took longer than usual to get back to their bungalow.  
Sam and Maxi drove in silence until they had passed through Playa then Maxi said in a small voice, “Do you think that… that guy was a diver?” 
Sam shook his head.  “No, honey, I do not.” 
She turned as far toward him as her seat belt allowed.  “Why not?” 
“Because of his clothes.  Those were expensive clothes and, I don’t know, but to me he looked like one of those rich guys you see in, like, Nassau.  You know, the ones with the trophy wife and the loud voice and always being rude to the natives and the waiters.  A real jerk.” 
Maxi frowned.  “What gave you that idea?  You only saw the guy for about a minute.”
Sam shook his head again.  “I don’t know but I bet I am right.  He cannot be a diver.  Divers do not kill other divers.  Divers are too nice.”  
She reached over and laid a small hand on his arm.  “You are too nice, sweetie.  Thanks for getting us out of there.  I know there will be a lot more policemen coming to interview us, but I do not think I could have stood out there another five minutes before fainting or screaming.  Most probably both.” 
When they got back to Happy Holiday Homes Sam backed the truck up to the gate of the orange bungalow.  He and Maxi carried their scuba units onto the porch, made sure that the air was turned off, purged the lines, and went inside to make drinks.  It was not even two in the afternoon, but they agreed that circumstances called for a drink. 
Maxi made the drinks and Sam sliced Gouda cheese, tomatoes, and cucumbers for sandwiches.  They each made a pair of open face sandwiches and carried their rum drinks and lunches out to the shaded porch to refresh themselves and watch the antics of the black and yellow Bananaquits, little birds that the natives called sugar thieves, as they swooped and squabbled over the saucer of sugar Maxi and Sam put on the half-wall every morning.  When the sandwiches were only a memory and they were just about ready to go in for a nap their attention was drawn to a noisy Jeep driving by. 
“That Jeep is a disgrace,” said Sam.  “It needs a muffler.  Do they not have noise laws on this island?” 
“I have noticed it going by a few times a day,” Maxi said.  “In fact, the other day when I was walking back with the clean laundry he drove by and I had to wait for him.  The guy driving is pretty good looking.” 
“Oh, really?”  Sam looked at her with one eyebrow cocked.  
She reached over and lightly swatted his arm.  “Yes, really, if a girl liked that cheap, muscular, young kind of guy.  Which I do not.”
 They laughed and squeezed each other’s hand. 
“What say we take a nap in the air conditioning?” Sam said. 
Maxi stretched out her foot into the sunshine and felt the strong heat of it.  “Good idea.  I still feel a bit overheated from having to stand out there all that time.” 
They carried their dishes into the kitchen where Sam washed them while Maxi closed the bedroom windows and turned on the air conditioner.  She drew the curtains and got undressed.  She walked nude across the living room to the bathroom and Sam whistled. 
“Oh, thanks,” she said.  
“Hey,” he said, curving an arm around her waist, “I like how you look.”  He dropped a kiss on her shoulder, and she purred. 
Their nap was postponed for a while.



I get to go get my transmission line(s?) replaced tomorrow.  Woohoo!  I'll be the one in the mask with knitting in her hands.  It'll be good to see live humans in person for a bit, then I'll hit the grocery on the way home.  Better check my list.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Both pictures are perfect today. Glad you got a shot of the greedy hawk and then an appearance by a "parent." Your backyard is a source of never-ending interest. And the zinnias are so perky and cute. Always love them. They seem to shout "summertime."