Friday, March 25, 2016

You Missed A Good Supper

We try to have fish at least one night a week and last night was it.  I got about 3/4# of shrimp out to thaw before work and asked Durwood to peel them for me.  I'd found a recipe in a Weight Watchers cookbook and had all the ingredients on hand.  Yay! (well, I didn't have the box of rice with everything already in it [probably way too much salt too] but I added garlic, basil, and toasted coconut to regular rice; it worked) So we had Curried Shrimp on Garlic-Basil Coconut Rice with steamed broccoli on the side.  The sauce on the shrimp is sugar-free orange marmalade with a little water and garlic in it.  You dust the raw shrimp with the curry and then it toasts when you cook the shrimp.  We will definitely make it again.  And again.


The snow's pretty, I'll give it that.  It's covered up all of the crocuses, daffodils, and hyacinths in front.  See?  The good news is it'll all be melted by the middle of the week since after today the temps are supposed to hit the mid-40s or low-50s.  When the sun came out the new snow sparkled like diamonds.  Of course that didn't show up on the pictures I took but, trust me, it sparkled and is still sparkling.  I can forgive a lot of cold and snow if the sun shines, and the sky is all blue from horizon to horizon right now.






It was pretty quiet at work yesterday.  I imagine that everyone was busy with snow shovels and snowblowers until the phone started ringing and the door chiming in the afternoon.  Not even the UPS or FedEx guys came to bring me boxes of stuff to unpack and put into inventory.  So I cast on and got most of the yoke of a baby cardigan knitted.  This is the real cardi for Hamish (working title) slated to arrive in the next month or so.  The last one was for practice.  It's hard to tell in the picture but the yarn is just barely variegated in white, cream, and a very pale cocoa color.  It's called Pearl and I've got some pretty cocoa/khaki solid for the edging and a hat.  He'll look very elegant and pulled together in it.  That's my hope, anyway.

March 25--Frank Morgan, Sea Sunrise.  At first the stars twinkled brighter like they were in a hurry to meet a quota.  Then the thinnest line of pale peach light ignited the base of the clouds just above the horizon.  Evan drew her blanket tighter around her shoulders and settled herself deeper into the cleft in the dunes.  All her life she had dreamt of watching the sun rise over the lake and now that she was growing older she had decided it was now or never.  The sad thing was that she lived less than thirty miles from this very spot.  What had taken her so long?

Random trivia--Frank Morgan was the name of the actor who played the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz movie that we all grew up with.  Now it's time for me to chase around to a few stores.  I suppose I'd better put on regular clothes--yoga pants, a cami under a holey hoodie, and slippers just won't cut it out in the snow.  Style is my middle name.  (I suspect that means that "No" is my given name.)
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your dinner did sound delicious. And your comment about the snow sparkling like diamonds? That's how the waves in the waterway sparkle at times. Paul just called from his hotel in Beijing. After leaving him at the airport at 4:00 a.m. yesterday, he's safely on the other side of the world. Always glad to know he's on the ground.