Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Land of the Drear

You've heard of the Land of the Midnight Sun?  Well, this ain't it.  We're in the middle of a back-swirl of rain showers from a system that snuck by to the south of us late yesterday and is flinging drizzle over its left shoulder.  So it's not really raining, it's drizzling off and on, and the sky is a uniform blanket of gray.  To quote Snoopy, Blech.

Both UPS and FedEx brought cartons of items to be entered into the computer, priced, and shelved yesterday so I had plenty of work at work.  Hooray!  That meant I only got about an inch of the Hello Hamish cardi knitted but I don't mind because I'm having a muscle spasm in my neck that's radiating down my right shoulder blade and upper arm which makes knitting and computer mousing hurt.  Unpacking cartons is much easier on my poor shoulder.  (I know, it doesn't make sense but it's true.)

A chipmunk was so busy filling its cheek pouches with seed that it didn't run off when I opened the patio door every so slowly to take its picture.  They sure are cute, aren't they?

March 31--Winston Fraser, Night Skyline, Toronto, ON.  The city lights made the water look like painted silk.  Claire sat on a bench next to the trail along the shore watching the reflections change as the evening progressed.  Headlights slid across the water looking like a quick slit in the black fabric of the night-dark water.  Sound carried across to her, music and car horns, voices too when the breeze shifted her way.  She was aware of the hiss that passing bicycle tires made on the trail behind her and she listened to make sure that any footsteps kept going.  She felt that she was being trusting, not stupid or careless.

I'm going to wrap this up so I can stop irritating my right shoulder, arm, and neck.  I'm not a very good patient so avoid me for the next few days, okay?  Oh, the kitchen sink was a big hit with LC; she pretend washed all her play dishes right away.  Hmm, *taps lips* she might need a tiny dishcloth...
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Oh, the aches and pains of aging. Neither of us has been spared. My neck hurts right this minute but I'm hoping it'll loosen up as the day progresses. That tiny sweater -- like a doll outfit. It's so cute to see Lucy playing "bean" tea and glad she washes up afterwards in her own personal kitchen sink.