Thursday, March 10, 2016

Burrito Assembly Line

I felt uber-guilty when we were grocery shopping for our weekend getaway and Durwood bought 2 boxes of Bob Evans breakfast burritos because he'd run out of the homemade ones and I didn't have time to make more.  Plus it cost almost eight bucks for eight burritos.  So yesterday he diced up an onion and sautéed it with a diced bell pepper, then after supper I browned the breakfast sausage, scrambled a dozen eggs, and stirred them together.  I grated about 2 cups of cheddar with a little mozzarella thrown in for interest.  Next I heated up a dozen 6" flour tortillas and set up my assembly line on the table.  I was happy to use up the nasty blue Saran Wrap that Mom had (I can't bear to throw the stuff away even though I abhor the colors), only the green and pink left to go.  Yay!  I must have used smaller tortillas this time because it ended up making 16 of them.  See?  (really, the wrapping's blue.  I can't wait to see how the green looks, that's next.)  We figured out how much I spent on ingredients and came in just over $11 for the batch.  I told him I didn't mind making them because I can pronounce all the ingredients, there isn't so much salt, there's more filling in each one, and it makes me feel like I'm taking good care of him.  Plus they cost about $.69 each and about an hour to make them all.  That's a win-win-win in my book.

I got far along on Sudoku Violet #7 yesterday and had an idea for yet-another Design.  Time is running out, I have to stop this.  In my defense, this is a very simple, one-stitch design that only uses one skein of yarn and is knitted on big needles.  It'll go fast.  Look, pretty.

March 10--Len Rothman/Veronica Donnelly, #PC950712-32.  Toni never understood the lure of fishing.  Get it?  The "lure" of fishing.  I crack myself up.  Anyway, her dad was crazy for the sport, even saving up to fly into some remote Canadian lake, once with a couple buddies and another time with her brothers, for a week's fishing and camping.  She was baffled by his enthusiasm since he wouldn't eat fish.  He'd gotten a fish bone stuck in his throat as a kid and never got over the experience.  Toni couldn't be quiet enough or sit still enough to fish.  Evidently you had to be quiet to be successful and no one ever accused her of being quiet.

I had a haircut appointment this morning and wanted to stop to feed the chickens so didn't have time to blog at home but now I look less raggedy and "the ladies" are clucking happily while devouring strawberry tops, carrot peels, and asparagus ends.  Oh, tanks that need filling are coming in.  Sayonara.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You had on your Suzy Homemaker hat making all those burritos! The blue/green Saran wrap is startling but I bet those never get lost in the freezer! It seems like you've already made a zillion of those little squares. No wonder you're tired of them!