Monday, June 2, 2014

It's Wet Out There

Yesterday afternoon when I wanted to go out to light the grill it was raining like crazy with a lot of thunder and lightning too, so I made supper in the house.  It's raining again today without all the pyrotechnics.  We still got wet scurrying from the van to the house.  Naturally a bunch of the pots I planted last week are in the shelter of the eaves and the shed behind the house so I'll still have to get out the hose to give them a drink.  Ah well, can't win 'em all.

I went to Hancock Fabrics yesterday and found way too much stuff.  They had Simplicity patterns for $1.99 (limit 10) so I paged through the books and found 5.  Then it started to rain like a cow peeing on a flat rock so I had to shelter in the store (oh, darn) and kept finding things to put in my cart.  Things on sale but still...  I got enough fabric to make 2 tops and 2 skirts and a little something for LC one of these days, plus some stuff from the super sale bins that I couldn't leave behind.  That's a dangerous place.

I finished May Men's Chemo Hat #2 after supper.  I feel kind of bad that I didn't manage to make 3 hats in May but I'm not quitting.  I'll make 3 in June, I hope.

June 2--Pierre-August Renoir, Young Girl in a Blue Dress.  She waited all day, sitting at the window in her best blue dress, her red hat perched just so on her head.  It broke the waiter's heart to see her excitement turn to dread and then see her sink into the certainty that whoever she waited for would never come.  When she arrived and carefully selected a set with a good view of the street he had approached to take her order.  Her fingers had tightened on the clasp of her purse, then she took a breath before ordering tea.  He had shook, rattling the cup on the saucer while she drank the first cup but as the morning wore on the shaking stopped.  She touched her hair to make sure it was in place as the waiter returned offering a fresh pot of hot water and a small place of cookies "compliments of the management."  She protested but he insisted, he saw how thin and hungry she was.

Stay dry.  I'm going to do my best.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

What a treasure trove you found at Hancock. Love the LC fabric that will turn into something perfect for her. The story of the girl waiting by the window was so sad. I really could envision her.