Sunday, September 20, 2009

Back From Writing Camp

I had a very relaxing and productive writing week up at The Clearing in the wilds of Door County. Now I'm back with photographic proof that I actually knitted a bit and went to a yarn shop (twice) so you won't think I wasted my week writing.


I got a skein of Trekking 6 Fach, color #1805 for socks,







and Bearfoot Mountain Colors in Firestorm for a drop-stitch scarf.








Every morning we had what our teacher called Quiet Writing Time which means you don't talk and you don't make eye contact with anyone, you just write. I took my Alphasmart ou
t and found a little nest on the edge of the bluff overlooking the bay and just typed away. If I got really stuck for an idea, I tucked an index card and pencil in my pocket and walked the trails through the woods. Very good for generating scenes and outstanding for making my shoes stink. I have my Great-grandpa Charlie Gerst's feet and they're decomposing even as we speak. Next time I'm taking 2 pairs of walking shoes. Who could resist walking through these woods? Not me.






One night I worked on Reef Sock #2 while sitting in a rocker in the Lodge
talking to some of the other students.






The next night I knit on Felted Purse #3.










It was hard to come home, but I needed clean clothes. Plus this week's student
s were arriving so I'd have had to sleep in my car. It was worth coming home because I'm making Cornish Hens on the grill with roasted potato chunks and giant beet slices on the grill too. Mmm, you wish you were here, don't you?


No comments: