Sunday, August 16, 2009

Click-Whoosh-Gurgle

If you're not familiar with those sounds, that's the way it sounds when you go diving. SCUBA diving. I finally went for the first time this summer. I know, I know, summer's almost over but the doc wouldn't let me carry my gear or even wear it until the end of June and my dive buddy has had weekend gigs most of the summer. How inconsiderate, he'd rather earn money than go diving with his wife and me. Tsk. Honestly. It was great even though the visibility was only 10', we saw lots of gobies of all sizes, some nice bass, and one lonely crayfish. We were in the water for an hour then we had a picnic sitting on big rocks in the sunshine by the shore. Lovely.

I have to tell you about the book I read the last few days. It's called Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. I highly recommend it and her second book, The Sugar Queen. Jenny recommended the second one when I was looking for a third book to buy at Barnes & Noble last week. Or maybe it was the week before. Anyway, I read The Sugar Queen and really liked the author's style and voice so I got Garden Spells. It was wonderful. I kept having to stop reading because something about it made me tear up and want to come right back here and right a whole 'nother book, and as soon as I finished it I went right back to the first page and started again. Read these books! (I will confess that this story influenced my prompt writing tonight.)

August 15 & 16--Claude Monet, Woman in a Garden. Amanda itched to get her hands into the soil. She had a strong feeling that she would find the answer to her confusion on her knees in a flower bed. It had been a long year. Her father had died before the end of winter, leaving her alone in the big family house. That had been bad but she had been able to lean on her fiance, Tim, for support. Then just a week ago Tim had called and asked to come over. Right there on her porch, in the very swing where he had proposed a year ago, he had said he no longer wanted to marry her. He had accepted a position at a firm in Cleveland, Ohio and would be leaving the next day. Amanda had sat frozen beside him, too stunned to even ask why he had changed his mind. She had wordlessly tugged off the diamond ring he had given her and watched him drive out of her life. Now all she had was time and her flowers. The weeds invaded too quickly for her to let down her guard, besides she had always done some of her best thinking with a trowel in her hand.

Not bad. I think it had possibilities once I get Garden Spells out of my head.
--Barbara

No comments: