Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Back In The Groove

At least that's where I hope I am. I spent yesterday staying awake and trying to act normal in hopes that I'll manage to stay alert-ish at work tomorrow. Today I plan to drive off to do errands all by myself. That'll be the first time I'll be alone in almost 2 weeks and I have to say I am ready. I love Durwood, don't get me wrong, but I am really missing my alone time. I still feel like if I let my guard down an errant nap will jump on my eyelids and take me down for an hour but I'm fighting it. One tried to sneak up on me just now when I was thinking of what to say next but I fought it off and remained (semi-)awake. I can do it!

April 28--Anna Nikolaeva Karinskaya, Interior of L. Panteleev's House in Murmanov. At first glance it is a proper house with traditional furnishings and elegant appointments. Then you look closer and you realize that it is a stage set, a pretense. The tiny can of white paint she brought as part of her dowry was only enough to paint the window and door frames; the rest of the wood is raw. The furniture you can see from the front door is all that came with her. She stood right there, right where you're standing, and she arranged and rearranged it so that she could stop there and pretend, just for a moment, that she was at home in an elegant house in the city rather than a rough-built cabin in the woods.

It's good to preserve our fantasies, makes life bearable.
--Barbara

No comments: