Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Prickly Pear

Okay, here's the deal. I met a man from Bonaire and his Wisconsinite wife at The Clearing (what are the odds?) and talked with him one afternoon picking his brain for setting information for the romance novel I started in Bonaire last January. Now I'm sort of fired up to start working on it, but I promise not to dive in wholeheartedly until I have the Horizon rewrite done. Cross my heart. Just so you know I'm really working on the rewrite, I crossed the 100 page rewritten mark yesterday. (wait while I pat myself on the back *twist, grunt* okay, moving on) So my idea is to use the 2008 Bonaire calendar pictures to write little bits of the romance before bed each night. Here's the first one:

Lucia walked out the back door of Aunt Anneka's house after Susanna left. The hot blue sky arced overhead, not one whate cloud marred it from horizon to horizon. She climbed the slope behind the house, walking carefully to avoid the prickly pear cactus that was everywhere. "Looks like it's the only thing that grows here," she said. "Too bad it's not worth anything." When she reached the top she could see both coasts. She watched the waved pound the windward shore and explode into the air in foamy white spray until her shadow lengthening in front of her told her that sunset was coming fast. She turned to face west, shading her eyes with her hand, and watched a fast white boat turn toward her and race toward the shore. It kept coming until she was sure it would crash into the rocks but it slowed, rocking as the wake caught it, and motored slowly toward the boathouse she saw far below her. Must be Burke, she thought as she carefully made her way back down the hill, hurrying now to get back before darkness fell.

It's not much, but it's a start. Whew, am I glad I went to The Clearing and got my writing mojo back! Be warned, Jenny & Bob--a pack of poems is coming your way tomorrow night.

--Barbara


No comments: