Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Yuana

I don't want to seem like I'm bragging (but I am) but I want to say right here and now that I spent most of yesterday at my writing desk rewriting Horizon. I have nearly 20 pages redone! It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Of course, I stopped when I hit a comment that suggest a huge change and a bunch of extra writing, but it was late in the afternoon and time to stop anyway. On Thursday night I will tackle that long, big change comment with my lovely writing group around me to support me. In the meantime, here's a scribble to read:

Pigeon-toed and armor-plated, the iguana stamped down the middle of the road, a line of cars and trucks trailing behind it like a retinue. The first car would have passed, could have passed the tiny dinosaur when it came up behind him (it could only be a "him" with the line of spikes down the spine) but as the lady driver put on her turn signal and prepared to zip around him at the next wide spot in the one-lane road, he turned and fixed her with such a glare that her foot came off the accelerator and she remained in her proper place. The driver, a lady trying very hard to stay in touch with her island roots in the face of cultural homogenization via the internet, took on the task of keeping anyone else from passing just as a proper courtier protects other, more human royalty. Three cars back, Bunny sat back in a ganja haze enjoying the slow pace of the ride. At the other end of the island Manning checked his watch for the tenth time and cursed the day he acquired such a laid-back helper.

There ya go. Writing. Time to go to work.
--Barbara

No comments: