Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Scarf Mania!



I couldn't stop making Special Olympics scarves last Sunday. By breakfast yesterday I had three finished. I need more fuzzy or hairy or ribbon-y stuff to put with the yarn I have left (at least enough for one more). I thought I'd crochet the next/last one, with a big hook of course. That Red Heart Super Saver yarn is just too... too plastic to use all by itself. I know I shouldn't complain about it since that's all some people can afford but it just doesn't slide through my fingers as nicely as even the Red Heart Soft yarn does. Maybe I'll stop at Hobby Lobby tonight to see if they've got a Soft color that's close to the Delft Blue.


I also picked out a couple of the scarves I made last winter to donate to the Red Scarf Project for college kids who have aged out of the foster care system. If you're interested, go here for all the particulars, the deadline's December 15.





(As you can see, I appear to be genetically unable to make plain scarves. I cast one on last night, really I did, but I had to frog it after four rows, it was just... wrong with only one color and strand of yarn. Wrong, I tell you, just wrong. Looking at it made me feel all ooky.)

2 comments:

rochard said...

Oooh, I'm making scarves for the foster care kids! Another wonderful suggestion. Of course, mine will be all one color, knit with one strand with some sort of textured pattern. (I'm trying to loosen up, really.)

Barbara said...

Hey, whatever floats your boat. But check out their website; I think you're limited to one or two this year. It gives me an excuse to go wild and use up some of the crazy yarns I bought when I first got back into it.