Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm Baaaak!

Missoula was great and so was visiting the kids, but we didn't get to go to Yellowstone because of a snow and ice storm. A blizzard! In October! And early October at that. Honestly. I think my cousin Mike fell down on the job of keeping the weather nice so I could see buffalo and bugling elk, bubbling mud and Old Faithful. Snow. In October. I tell you. I didn't write one word while we were there and it was too bumpy on the planes home, but I did get back to writing last night.

October 15--Write about promises made--"You promised," Selena said with all the disappointment she could muster. Nine years old is not an easy age. A girl especially is ramping up toward the teen years and all the emotional ups and downs are just starting. Logic isn't a major player at that time so pointing out that pouring rain doesn't make an optimal beach day is pretty much a waste of breath. Not wanting to begin the day with a battle, I smiled and got up from the table. I retrieved the old picnic hamper from its shelf in the back hall and began to make sandwiches. Selena ate her Cheerios automatically, her eyes never leaving my hands. "When you're finished eating," I said, "rinse your bowl, then go get ready. We'll want to leave before ten to beat the crowds." I could feel her disbelief with my back turned but kept preparing as if it were any other summer day. She silently came to stand beside me, tipped out the last spoonful of milk into the sink, and rinsed her bowl. "But it's raining," she said. "I know it is." I smiled at her. "But as you so rightly pointed out, I did promise. Better grab a raincoat." She didn't say another word. We drew more than a few incredulous looks that day but the grown up Selena reminds me every summer when she drops her son and daughter off at my cottage for their two week visit that the very best picnics are rain picnics.

I like it, it's a little Hallmark-y, but I like it. See you tonight!
--Barbara

No comments: