Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Enough, Already

I know all this snow is good for the farmers and the rivers and the lakes and all the rest, but I'm sure getting sick and tired of it. Everybody at work is getting loopy. I'm getting loopy. Cabin fever, no doubt. I've been trying to get some of it into my writing.

For a minute or more, Karen had been standing, looking out the window with a view of the parking lot. I know this because I'd been watching her, and wondering what she found so fascinating."Come here once," was all she said. "Take a look at this."

I hate that phrase, 'come her once'. To me, it always sounds shabby and ridiculous. "What is it?" I ask.

Karen pointed, turning her hand in the air as she said, "Can you believe that?"

On the far end of the parking lot was a truck with a flatbed on the back. The truck's operator was winching a silver Acura up onto the tilted bed. He stood with his hands on levers that control the progress of the winch. A man in a black suit walked at a brisk pace toward the truck.

"That's Bertinet, isn't it?" Karen says.

"I'd say. That's his car they're taking."

"I sure wouldn't want to be him right now."

I looked at her, savoring the moment. "Karen, you wouldn't ever want to be him."

She blinked her owl-eyes and gave me a quick, hysterical giggle. Then she went back to her desk .

Is it loopy enough? It sure feels that way to me.

Bob;-)

No comments: