Monday, September 24, 2007

Hello?

Where is everyone? I feel as though I'm wandering through a big, empty house here. Anyway, this is the opening to the next section of "Say What You Want." Just trying it out. (Clement is the guy Lennie is supposed to be meeting)

The Ambrosia Bar was one long, straight shot from front to back. Milky glass globes hung down from the tin ceiling, glowing pale yellow. The bartender was busy chatting up a woman dressed all in black. Clement was nowhere in sight. Every bar stool was split across the top and taped over. Lennie took the stool two in from the end.
The bartender ambled over. "What can I get you?"
"A beer."
"You sure don't need a beer, my friend."
"You're right," Lennie said. "But this is a bar, so it only seems right that I should have one."
He began pulling a small glass full. Lennie glanced at the woman. She took a drink from her glass. The bartender brought Lennie's beer and set it down in front of him. He took a Lincoln that Lennie had set out, stuffed it in the till and brought back a few coins. Lennie was playing with his free-speech card.
"Ever see a card like this?"
The bartender took the plastic, glanced at the back, then tipped it to the light. A modest surprise registered in his gaze. "No," he said, handing it back. "Never did."
"And you won't."
"Oh? Why's that?"
"'Cause it's a free-speech card."
The bartender pushed back from the bar. "The hell, you say."
"With this baby I can write what I want to write and say what I want to say."
The bartender squinted, then smiled broadly. "Okay. Sure. I know you. You're that jackass Lennie what's his name," he said. "And I didn't need damn card to say that, either. Free-speech card, my ass."

That's it. See you Thursday.

Bob

No comments: