Wednesday, November 25, 2020

I Confess

 I couldn't resist it.  I brought that pumpkin pie home yesterday and left it alone--until suppertime tonight.  *sigh*  There it was staring at me looking so lonely... so I had a sliver.  Just a tiny piece.  Just to make sure it was as good as it looks.  And it is.  I wonder if I can freeze slices to have later.


My big accomplishment today was folding last week's basket of clean laundry.  I don't like to pile all of the laundry fun on the same day or even in the same week.  I like to stretch out the enjoyment until I'm in danger of  running out of clean socks.  And speaking of socks, there were no orphans.  Knock wood.



A male Downy Woodpecker came to visit the suet pellets this morning.  I know I say it nearly every time but I really like the looks of this bird.



Once the laundry excitement was over I retired to the couch to finish the latest cast sock toe cap thingy.  I goofed up the pattern and knitted it in single rib rather than double so I had to google how to do the toe decreases.  I worked it out but you'd better believe that I will carefully read the little sketchy pattern before I start the next one so I do it right.

25 November--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

We broke for lunch and all three of us walked down to Johnno’s to drink gallons of water to slake our thirsts and enjoy crab salad sandwiches made with Johnno’s special dressing on slabs of Amy’s best bread.  I paid.

Just as we were finishing our lunches and getting ready to go back to work, Iggy wandered in.  “Hey, ‘Nando, I heard you were up here making Mrs. Rose jump through your hoops.  How is it going?”  He clapped Mr. Gomez on the back as he would a good friend.

My heart leaped to think that Iggy might coerce Mr. Gomez to relax his determination to lay eyes on each and every item in the container.  He didn’t pull off that miracle, but what he did manage to do was get Gomez’s permission to sort out the electrical supplies, get them checked off the list, and allow Silas and Edward to carry them into the hotel.

Within an hour Iggy had come back in khakis and a tool belt and was tracing the wires from the fuse box through the studs to the receptacles and switches.  By sundown Mr. Gomez as barely a quarter of the way through the contents of the container but because Iggy was his friend he had finished rewiring what would become my bedroom.  It was such a relief to finally be on the way toward having a working hotel.


Today's toss was another handful of knitting and crochet books.  I have too many, it's an easy toss.

This afternoon I had a zoom visit with two of my high school buds.  We get together once a month just to catch up on what's happening and how our families are managing in these challenging times.  One of these days things will get back to normal and we will be able to meet and visit.

And the writing went better this evening.  I ignored the daily prompt and just plunged into a novel scene and then kept it going when I sat down here to do my day's quota.  I haven't been swept up in the story like I had hoped but I'm proud that I keep coming back to the page.  As one of the notes taped to my printer says, "Aim Low."  And I am.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I like that "Aim Low" slogan. Makes it so much easier to meet an attainable goal. And I'm counting your resistance regarding that pie as commendable. How you could stop at that tiny slice shows quite the determination. I say why not try freezing the rest of the slices? Either that or you'll be nibbling away at it all week. But before you do that, have one more slice today. It is, after all, Thanksgiving!! So thinking of you and wishing you the best day possible in these trying times. As ever, love talking with you yesterday. XXXXX