Sunday, May 3, 2020

One of Those Days

That was my today.  The seven weeks of safer-at-home and social distancing became too much for me.  I felt trapped and supremely sorry for myself, so I spent most of the day camped in front of the TV doing a little knitting.



I finished Stuck-at-Home Warshrag #3 this afternoon.  I really like the colors.  I don't think I'll cast on #4 right away.  Instead I'll spend my knitting time working on the Baktus scarf, especially now that I'm on the decreasing half.  Things should speed up as I go.



Birds did not cooperate today.  Every time I lined up a shot of one at the birdbath they'd fly off.  I finally caught this House Finch perched on the shepherd's crook.  There are quite a few pairs of these finches that come to the platform feeder during the day, always a male and a female, and he drives away any others that come to the feeder.  Except for chickadees, the males tolerate a chickadee darting in for a seed.



I caught sunset early tonight because CBS has reinstated their Sunday Night Movies at 7 o'clock.  Tonight's was Raiders of the Lost Ark and I didn't want to miss a minute.  Man, Harrison Ford was young in that movie.  Next Sunday's movie is Forrest Gump.  I'll be watching.  Maybe I'll make popcorn or have a box of chocolates.


03 May--Barbara Malcolm, Tropical Obsession. 

Mona herself was not from the upper class. Her parents had been aging hippies holding on to the carefree days of their youth with a death grip. They lived in a cluster of yurts outside Des Moines, for God's sake, where her dad taught philosophy and Eastern religions to the sons and daughters of corn farmers and her mother scraped a living as an intuitive potter. That meant her pieces were attractive in an organic way but seldom actually useful. The fact was that her life was one of capitalism and its many excesses, paid for by a man who represented all that Lucas and Beth despised. Their daughter, Moonlight, had changed her name to Mona as soon as she left home, set about getting as far from her roots as possible, and then got a job with a firm of civil engineers in Chicago as executive assistant to the corporation’s financial officer.  Good old George had taken Mona under his wing and taught her the ins and outs of investing and accounting so that she got a good education on the job and had a pretty good head on her shoulders for money matters. 


DD and I Facetimed this afternoon and tomorrow I'm going to visit DS for a few minutes at the brewery--at a distance, of course.  Both of those things are guaranteed to make me feel better.  One already did and I know that the other one will too.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

One perfect bird picture today counts. Handsome guy! Yesterday wasn't stellar for me either. The shrimp scampi I fixed for dinner wasn't up to snuff and that's always a disappointment. Ina, I'm not!! When dinner is the highlight of the day and then it doesn't shine, that's not a good thing.

Today's one-liner:

Life is too complicated in the morning.