Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Number 4

I was going to put the car knitting bag back into the car, even got it out into the garage, when I realized that I won't be doing any waiting room knitting for a while so it was silly to put it in there.  Besides I hadn't cast on the next warshrag, so I did.  I made an executive decision to make another one the same as the last one, mostly because I'm using the last one and I really like the yarn.  Stuck-at-Home Warshrag #4 is begun.




I was excited to see the first poppy bud when I mowed the lawn the other day.  I like the fuzzy bud covering for its shape and color.  Soon there'll be poppies.







Late this afternoon I went out to see if I couldn't rearrange the soaker hose on the onion sets and managed to change it a little, but I also saw that the onions are sprouting.  They're hard to see but, trust me, there are thin green shoots poking up.


My friend Lala stopped for a visit on her way up to Antigo to visit her mom.  It was so hot and humid at midday that we had lemonade and visited indoors.  We had every intention of sitting on the patio but it was just unbearable so we made do with an indoor visit.  We hadn't seen each other since we got home from Yellowstone last September so we spend part of the visit rehashing the fun we'd had.  I spent the afternoon disinfecting the doorknobs, etc. like a good little shut-in.

27 May--Barbara Malcolm, Tropical Obsession. 


Red, white, and blue, the little fishing boat, more of a skiff, reflected its patriotic colors onto the still water of Lac Cai. It seemed to Manning that trying to get through the waves that reared across the mouth of the bay and out into the open ocean beyond would take a bigger boat, and a motor. He stood on the rocky sand near the moored boat glaring at a brown pelican that seemed to have settled down to make a home on the bow. He couldn't figure out how Bunny imagined they would make it out to meet Santiago. Oars? As far as he could tell there weren't any oarlocks, no place to attach them either. At the sound of tires on gravel behind him the pelican straightened up, glared back at him, and spread its wings, flying around the bay looking for breakfast. Bunny pulled up in his ancient Toyota pickup with an even older looking outboard in the back. Ah, now things became possible


It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow (which we need) but also be 20 degrees cooler (which I'm in favor of).  It got close to 90 degrees today with 65% humidity--ugh.  I'm hoping it stays cooler so I can survive lawn mowing on Friday, early or late to avoid the middle of the day heat, if it turns hot again, which it isn't supposed to, but I don't trust the weather guessers much.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I'm taking your word for it that there are onions sprouting out there. And soon poppies! I always loved those in Grandma Gerst's backyard. Glad you had a little in-person visit with your GF. I did the same here as we took a little walk ib the cart path on the golf course. Nice to catch up after the long shut-in.