Sunday, November 3, 2019

Sewing & Raking

May I say that I do not like raking. (See yesterday's post for a view of the leaves, pre-raking.)  I bought myself a battery powered leaf blower last fall but the batteries don't last long enough to get the job done and take a long time to recharge.  I should have bought one with a cord.  Then I couldn't get the lawnmower started to suck them up and bag them so I could take one swath at a time's worth of leaves to the curb.  That left the rake.  So I raked them into a few large piles and by then it was nearly dark so tomorrow I'll take a tarp out there, pile the leaves on it, and drag them to the street.  I will admit that I felt royally sorry for myself the entire time I was raking.  Even though all of the jobs have been mine for the last years when Durwood wasn't able to do any of them, I still missed having a partner to talk to and whine to.  Turns out you can cry and rake at the same time.


There was a Cardinal at the feeder today. He even tolerated sharing with a finch.  Cardinals do not share gladly.





As a reward for battling the leaves (which don't even come from my own tree; they come from the neighbor's tree) I went downstairs and sewed up the first of the red plaid flannel dresses I cut out yesterday.  I like the way it turned out and am anxious to see how the opposite one looks.  That'll have to wait until I get home from visiting DD and family next week.

03 November--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire.

In the last few years Billie Holland-Smythe’s Queen’s Birthday Party had become the de-facto start of the island social season among the small expatriate community.  The introduction of Major George Clemment and Colonel Dimitri Roskova was the shocking pinnacle of that year’s party.  Not much else was talked about over fences and in the shops when friends met for at least a week.  Those who had witnessed it enjoyed a measure of celebrity among those who were either unable to attend or uninvited.  Everyone knew that Billie carefully chose her guest list, being on it conferred a sort of cachet and being passed over spurred many a woman to examine her social skills and rethink friendships in hopes that her name would be included the following year.  Billie’s party launched a months-long series of parties and barbecues that defined the cooler, winter months’ social whirl on the island.
Certain of these parties were long running and eagerly anticipated by those who had lived there the longest.  Miriam Wilson and Jane Carey, retired teachers from Boston, hosted a beach party that was legendary.  They had an entire pig shipped to the island that they roasted in a specially built pit on their property bordering the rocky beach on the south end of the island.  From some secret place they obtained sweet corn on the cob that was roasted over open coals.  They also hired a steel drum band to play long into the night while their guests drank endlessly flowing rum drinks.  Miriam and Jane always danced the limbo after midnight to everyone’s delight.  They were amazingly flexible for a couple of old broads.
Mason James was the traditional host of the winter exhibition-opening gala at his Cinnamon Gallery.  He was a patron of the arts who specialized in works by primitive and local artists.  His parties started with wine and hors d’oeuvres in the gallery, and then moved to his hilltop home for a traditional Caribbean feast with curried goat, yams, and platters of grilled lobster and other fresh-caught seafood delicacies.
At each of these parties, and many more throughout the months of that winter, a sort of division grew in the expatriate community, supporters and friends of Irina on one side, those loyal to Sonia on the other.



That's really all I did today.  I spent a couple hours on the couch feeling sorry for myself but I don't count that as an accomplishment of the day.  We've had intermittent sunshine these last days and it just isn't enough for me.  Did you remember to turn your clocks back last night?  I forgot until this morning so instead of feeling glad that I managed to sleep until after 7 o'clock I got up a little after 6am.  *sigh*
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

What is it with this time of year? Messing around with the clocks? The coming winter? All those leaves? For whatever reason, we've got a bad case of the botts!! I've been in a deep funk ever since my email gave up the ghost and then Instagram quit on me. Somehow those two events had me close to tears myself. My morning routine of checking in on Barbara's own personal world via cyberspace has been upset and I don't like it one little bit! So I sympathize with you big time. Keep your trip and that darling Kentucky family uppermost in your mind and know good days are a'comin'!